Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Closing the Gender Gap - ACT NOW - Part 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Closing the Gender Gap - ACT NOW - Part 2

A few weeks i raised this thread
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-...ropaganda.html

the thread dealt with the OECD report that showed
    From earning 17 per cent more than men when they have no children, Irish women aged 25-44 go to taking home 14 per cent less in their pay packet when they have children, the report finds.
    This was battered into a Gender - Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development message that we should all do something to correct this imbalance.

I note from the much vaunted "OECD - Better Life index" that ireland had the 2nd greatest gender inequality in the Work Life Balance section. in fact Irish Men are 6 times more likely to work long hours (50 hours plus) than Irish Women.

Ireland

Wow... Hey maybe, just maybe- there is a link between the two - maybe Men working longer hours has lead to them getting better pay and better promotion opportunities.

But thats debateable - lets ACT NOW and make women work longer hours.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    A few weeks i raised this thread
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-...ropaganda.html

the thread dealt with the OECD report that showed

This was battered into a Gender - Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development message that we should all do something to correct this imbalance.

I note from the much vaunted "OECD - Better Life index" that ireland had the 2nd greatest gender inequality in the Work Life Balance section. in fact Irish Men are 6 times more likely to work long hours (50 hours plus) than Irish Women.

Ireland

Wow... Hey maybe, just maybe- there is a link between the two - maybe Men working longer hours has lead to them getting better pay and better promotion opportunities.

But thats debateable - lets ACT NOW and make women work longer hours.
    Or......lets insist on family friendly work places and fathers spending time with their kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Or......lets insist on family friendly work places and fathers spending time with their kids.
    Thankfully you concede that poor men are in need of gender equality type action.

Let's insist - but failing that maybe the Women's Council can push for longer working hours to balance things up. Its not fair that women have to spend so much time with their kids if men don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thankfully you concede that poor men are in need of gender equality type action.

Let's insist - but failing that maybe the Women's Council can push for longer working hours to balance things up. Its not fair that women have to spend so much time with their kids if men don't have to.
    Do you have kids? I do and I'd rather spend time with them than work. The Women's Council are a bunch of pampered middle class whingers. Pay them no heed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The main obstacle I fear is that raising children is not really regarded as a 'job'. 'Individualisation' of the taxation code confirms it's worthy of little, if any, financial reward and those who decide to remain at home to raise the next generation are described often as "not in the workforce".

But its nice to see a champion of the 'home-maker' in the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Do you have kids? I do and I'd rather spend time with them than work. The Women's Council are a bunch of pampered middle class whingers. Pay them no heed.
    Me too. I would rather hang out with my boy than anyone or anything.

I am just annoyed that when gender imbalance on a single metric is used as a cause whereas counter metrics are ignored. Much like this thread - i dare say if the OECD discovered that Women were working long hours 6* more than men that we would have 20 pages of handwringing by now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skypeme View Post
    The main obstacle I fear is that raising children is not really regarded as a 'job'. 'Individualisation' of the taxation code confirms it's worthy of little, if any, financial reward and those who decide to remain at home to raise the next generation are described often as "not in the workforce".

But its nice to see a champion of the 'home-maker' in the field.
    I would love a return to Single Income Families where one parent took care of children- I think it would be a great return to a proper value based society.