Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal Alarms for the Elderly.

Default Personal Alarms for the Elderly.

In the news we hear of very old people being attacked in their homes and not a thread on here, till now.
    What are the best ways of protecting the elderly?

Alarms are good, but immediate response is what is needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are not just for burglars. We get called out regularly to people who have falls and hit the panic alarm around their neck. We also get called to people who don't have one and end up lying on the ground for 24 hours until found. We once got a lady in her 80s who was lying there for nearly 3 days until found. These devices save lives and it's a bloody disgrace that they are cut!
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Easy targets for a government who are still bending over for rich folk to stick it to them.

Dylan2010

they are also for medical issues, falls etc. I dont see what the big deal is, they only cost a couple of hundred euros so I dont get the whining over who gets them for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    they are also for medical issues, falls etc. I dont see what the big deal is, they only cost a couple of hundred euros so I dont get the whining over who gets them for free.
    That really doesn't surprise me with you.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    That really doesn't surprise me with you.
    answer my question, I have parents in that situation but I dont expect the HSE to pay for every little gadget they need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    answer my question, I have parents in that situation but I dont expect the HSE to pay for every little gadget they need.
    I'm really glad that your parents can afford to pay for this "little gadget". There are a lot of elderly people who cannot afford it and they need help. It's a very cost effective service and it saves many lives, if you can't see that I'm sorry for you.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I watched Dole Cheaters on TV3 last night. We're losing hundreds of millions that way. Why don't they target welfare fraudsters instead of hitting the vulnerable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm really glad that your parents can afford to pay for this "little gadget". There are a lot of elderly people who cannot afford it and they need help. It's a very cost effective service and it saves many lives, if you can't see that I'm sorry for you.
    I feel sorry for his parents.,,..

Dylan2010

fine, means test it then, my experience though is that the majority of old people have family in the background that can also help but are happy to let the HSE do their job. I'd prefer to see the money spent so that when you bring an old person into A&E with a suspected fracture( as I have had to do) they are not left in a chair for two hours.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast