Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Charges To Be Rolled Out right after the 2014 elections

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Water Charges To Be Rolled Out right after the 2014 elections

Families to face bills of €370 a year for water - Latest News, Personal Finance - Independent.ie

FAMILIES can expect to be hit with water bills averaging 370 a year when charging is introduced next year.

The EU/IMF agreement says charging must begin from 2014 but the Government may decide to delay the inevitable until after the local elections that year. This is because there are concerns that homeowners hit with a full year of the property tax that was introduced last month, plus water charges will then vote against the coalition government parties of Fine Gael and Labour in the June 2014 elections.
    I wonder how many people will vote for FG LAB and get caught out by this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
    Families to face bills of €370 a year for water - Latest News, Personal Finance - Independent.ie

I wonder how many people will vote for FG LAB and get caught out by this?
    Presumably only very ill-informed ones. Water charges have been on the cards for a few years. Anyone thinking they're not coming, or shocked by their arrival, has been living under a rock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is €30 a month, just over what people pay for a Sky/UPC basic package. A bit higher than I expected but not a massive outlay.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about they stop poisoning us with flouride and I might think about paying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    It is 30 a month, just over what people pay for a Sky/UPC basic package. A bit higher than I expected but not a massive outlay.
    I dont have a Sky/UP package. Does these mean I dont have to pay the water charges?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing wrong with water charges if they are fair.

But I bet you I'll pay the same as some tosser with a swimming pool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The plan has always been to introduce Water Charges for 2014.

The new thing in that article is the government are looking at delaying it for 6 months. They have delayed the Property Tax for 6 months, so there is nothing massively new there either. The money has to be raised or cut regardless though. If they delay it for the 6 months, it just means it has to come from somewhere else.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    Nothing wrong with water charges if they are fair.

But I bet you I'll pay the same as some tosser with a swimming pool.
    In the beginning it appears so, but once the meters are in place that shouldn't be the case.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

As someone who remembers the last anti-water charges campaign very well, all I can say is they are in for a fight on this issue, ( they left off water charges in Dublin until last in 1994 each year more and more people refused to pay the water charges until they were abolished in 1996. There was a lot less households back then-we can expect they will use threats to limit someone’s supply of water, they did this last time. Any time the water was turned off on a non-payer, it was turned back on soon afterwards by campaign volunteers. The same will happen again. One Incident during the last anti-water charges campaign: a private water crew tried to turn off residents water supply in Waterford. Their van was surrounded by angry mobs of people and they were trapped for hours. The only real purpose in setting up Irish Water is to pave the way for the eventual privatisation of water - a bonanza to be handed over to a private operator to profiteer from a vital resource. Otherwise, the government would leave water in control of local authorities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinemartin View Post
    I dont have a Sky/UP package. Does these mean I dont have to pay the water charges?
    €30 a month is not a lot. Use your own numbers.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast