Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Referendums 'turn people inward'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Referendums 'turn people inward'

A bizare comment from senior US offical,

Ahead of a landmark speech by David Cameron on the UK's relationship with Brussels, the US assistant secretary for European affairs made clear Washington favoured a "strong British voice" within the EU.

Philip Gordon also warned that referendums could turn countries "inward".

"We have a growing relationship with the EU as an institution, which has an increasing voice in the world, and we want to see a strong British voice in that EU," he told reporters during a visit to London.

"That is in America's interests. We welcome an outward-looking EU with Britain in it."

The Prime Minister is due to make a speech this month in which he will set out his plans to renegotiate Britain's relationship with the EU - including clawing back many powers - and put that settlement to voters.

Some in his party advocate British withdrawal, a scenario which Conservative Mayor of London Boris Johnson has said would not be "the end of the world". Mr Johnson is also among those who have called for a referendum on the EU, something Mr Cameron is expected to promise for after 2015 in his forthcoming speech.

Mr Gordon said "referendums have often turned countries inward" and raised concerns about the internal debate in the EU about its structures in the aftermath of the eurozone debt crisis.
    Are they afraid of people deciding things for themselves? Notice the language, "in Americas interest" for basically Britain to remain apart of the EU and further expose itself to the rot.

This is just more evidence of the role and power big foreign governments have over 'lesser governments'.

The state of sovereign and independent nations is been dissolved into much larger centralised planning.
    Last edited by He3; 10th January 2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Typo fix requested
    There is something pigheaded about Wexford this season, something pigheaded and perverse and oddly beautiful. In certain lights they are starting to look heroic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hate the way Leitrim Co Co try to dominate us Drumshambo folk.

Of course Drumshambo Town Council has a sacred duty to manage the (I do mean the) traffic light and reject the attempts by the Chamber of Commerce to ...

You take my point.

Big fleas etc...
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

History has shown us that the US administration hates economic nationalism.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is that the us that is us or the us that is US?
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vega1447 View Post

Of course Drumshambo Town Council has a sacred duty to manage the (I do mean the) traffic light and reject the attempts by the Chamber of Commerce to ...

You take my point.

Big fleas etc...
    What are you talking about? Also, Drumshanbo has 1 set of traffic lights. 1 traffic light would be a little dangerous.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is that the us that is us or the us that is US?
    The US

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What are "Referendndums"?

Any relation to "Referenda"?
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You take my point.

Big fleas etc...
    Ah Fukk it Toman13 give it a rest!
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james5001 View Post
    What are you talking about? Also, Drumshanbo has 1 set of traffic lights. 1 traffic light would be a little dangerous.
    A lone traffic light would be kinda cool, though.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james5001 View Post
    History has shown us that the US administration hates economic nationalism.
    Well, other countries' economic nationalism. But really, there you have it- once again the powers- that-be are doing their level best to weigh in against any meaningful input from the general public on their own future. At least in the good old days, one had to actually vote the wrong way before one lost the vote.
    Last edited by stopdoingstuff; 10th January 2013 at 12:46 AM.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast