Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: France getting very active over Tax & Multinationals - Irelands FDI mentioned

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default France getting very active over Tax & Multinationals - Irelands FDI mentioned

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/...=tw-share&_r=0

The French government has asked for a report that will outline ways to stop multinational companies dodging taxes, a practice that indirectly stifles local companies, culture minister Aurelie Filippetti said.

European countries have been stepping up efforts to clamp down on companies, mostly from the United States, which minimize their tax bills by channeling profit through low-tax regimes.
    Her comments came as books-to-music retailer Virgin Megastore France prepared to file for insolvency on Wednesday, becoming the latest victim of a slump in CD and DVD sales as consumers buy more content online.
    Link to Virgin Megastore story:
    http://www.france24.com/en/20130109-...solvent-amazon

And of course a reference to our good selves:

Internet group Google is also under audit by the French tax authority about a structure which channels sales through Ireland.
    So - is this an ill wind travelling our way? Causing potential issues to the longterm residence of our FDI and the jobs? The USA are getting a bit angsty about this also I think?
    Last edited by robut; 9th January 2013 at 08:40 PM.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

F*** off France... and f*** you Hollande and your loony leftie sh!te...

I think Kieran Allen should move to France...

I bet he'd love it...

He'd get excited and aroused by civil disobedience a lot more often over there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If France, Germany, UK, US, etc, want to stop multinationals taking advantage of their tax laws to minimise tax via agreements with other states, then change their tax laws and negotiate new tax treaties with each other and the other states concerned.

Bet they won't though. They will talk about it a lot and come out with a load of populist guff - but I'll bet when their politicians and officials come under pressure from their own companies and multinationals, they'll fold as they always do and quietly back away from any change.

Ireland just needs to sit tight and do nothing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hollande better be careful, all the Multinationals will leave France--Just like all the rich will leave Ireland, if they are asked to pay a fair share of the tax. What dross we swallow........

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lying eyes View Post
    Hollande better be careful, all the Multinationals will leave France--Just like all the rich will leave Ireland, if they are asked to pay a fair share of the tax. What dross we swallow........
    Plenty of rich people leaving France currently...

Gerard Depardieu is now a Russian citizen while the London property market is reportedly full of French high earners looking for a base...

Apparently they're not mad about a 75% tax rate... and they're dead right too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interestingly the US reconfirmed existing tax regulations under the fiscal cliff deal that allows US companies to avail of off shore tax structuring, so they shouldn't be throwing stones - if I can find the link, I'll post it.
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The French government has asked for a report that will outline ways to stop multinational companies dodging taxes
    Well the first thing you should do it fix your own tax code that allows them to declare the earnings in Ireland in the first place.

That's your own tax code mind, not our tax rate.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well here's another reason why folk might be fleeing France -

PARIS - Around a dozen Japanese tourists a year need psychological treatment after visiting Paris, as the reality of unfriendly locals and scruffy streets clashes with their expectations.

Surly French leave Japanese tourists needing psychological help - World - NZ Herald News

Oh all right, its 2006 but it made me giggle.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Gerard Depardieu is now a Russian citizen
    Yes, who ever heard of Vladimir Putin making life difficult for a rich person.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the build up for a quid pro quo on the promissory notes.
    Our mini elite will be up in arms - Mary McAleese will have to ask the Pope to intervene!
    Mammy, get the hammer there's a fly on daddy's head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast