Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: November 2012 Official Irish retail sales lowest in 10 years. December needs 33% rise to be “best Christmas Sales in several years”.

Default November 2012 Official Irish retail sales lowest in 10 years. December needs 33% rise to be “best Christmas Sales in several years”.

Recently the Oirish Times reported that the December retail sales were the best in "several years".

Retailers enjoy 'best Christmas in years' - The Irish Times - Mon, Dec 24, 2012

Official retail sales for November 2012 from the CSO released on Monday last, show that it was the worst November for sales in 10 years. Here is the report.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/rel...si_nov2012.pdf

For the Oirish Times article among all the other mainstream media reports about this "bumper" year to be accurate, the month on month increase for December 2012 when officially released in early February requires a 33% increase to match December 2007. That would be a notorious record.

I await with baited breath.....
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Here's the spike required in December to substantiate their claim

“The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    Recently the Oirish Times reported that the December retail sales were the best in "several years".

Retailers enjoy 'best Christmas in years' - The Irish Times - Mon, Dec 24, 2012

Official retail sales for November 2012 from the CSO released on Monday last, show that it was the worst November for sales in 10 years. Here is the report.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/rel...si_nov2012.pdf

For the Oirish Times article among all the other mainstream media reports about this "bumper" year to be accurate, the month on month increase for December 2012 when officially released in early February requires a 33% increase to match December 2007. That would be a notorious record.

I await with baited breath.....
    Being in retail this doesn't surprise me one bit. The spinning on this was so OTT as to be laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    Here's the spike required in December to substantiate their claim

You need to look at retail sales on a wider base than just one month, but that graph tells a story on how far back we've fallen. You need to look a quarter (at a minimum).

In November/December things like weather conditions play a big part and also the fact that there were three weekends in December prior to Christmas in 2011 and four weekends before Christmas in 2012.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looking at the graph I think the comparisons will be made to 2009 - 2010 - 2011....much easier hurdle (and did you see Retail sector asking protest marches to stay away from the city centre).
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Even the retailers were spinning boohoo, poor me stories. Granted this is second hand as far as stories go, but I heard of a retailer saying that 2012 Christmas Eve was his worst Christmas Eve ever.....

Of course bufoon, it was a Monday. How was your 22 and 23 December? He didn't mention how well he did those days.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    You need to look at retail sales on a wider base than just one month, but that graph tells a story on how far back we've fallen. You need to look a quarter (at a minimum).

In November/December things like weather conditions play a big part and also the fact that there were three weekends in December prior to Christmas in 2011 and four weekends before Christmas in 2012.
    How much of that spike was driven by money the spenders did not have?

Jaysus, we all know we needed to change things from back then. It was unsustainable and unrealistic. We all know it was fuelled by credit and what that level of credit has done to this country.

God sake folks, grow up.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh dear how is RTE spinning this?

all the good news PR spinning of the last few days, IDA,EI, the NTMA (paying more for loans than available from the troika) all manipulating figures to give the government something positive and then the darned print media does this??

Pat is not going to be happy

Dylan2010

Lots of interrelated issues, survivor bias on the one hand, tax increases, cross border shopping and the internet suggest retail will be sluggish at best. My wife wanted to buy a receipe book, it was €40 in Easons and €25 from the Book Depository, she bought it off the internet.

Government spoof like no tomorrow .They have to send out good news stories to try and spoof the sheep into thinking everything is A ok . Anyone with a bit of cop knows that the pipe is narrowing and shyte is backing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Being in retail this doesn't surprise me one bit. The spinning on this was so OTT as to be laughable.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast