Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Another year of doom and gloom ahead?

Default Another year of doom and gloom ahead?

Unemployment to rise in 2014 and 2015 - NERI - RTÉ News

We're barely a week into the new year and already the government's over optimistic forecasts are being rubbished by people who know better. Are we ever likely to see and end to the current recession? Certainly things were worse (in real terms) in the 1930s, 50s and 80s but there's no question that the national mood is far more depressed than in those times, when at least jobs were much more easily available in other countries.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do not remember the main streets of places like Dun Laoghaire or Drogheda going completely out of business and becomming ghost town centres in the 1980s.

This is a different category of disaster. We are dealing with the hangover of a prolonged period of liberal lending by the financial system. Not only were the low interest rates encouraging people to misallocate money on a persistent scale, but they were encouraging people to borrow to misallocate on a massive scale.

Then we had the 'succesful' efforts that the Irish media put into hyping the population inot spending and borrowing massive amounts of debts - an intellectual conditioning. This has left people feeling very stupid.
    Last edited by Analyzer; 9th January 2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Union think-tank, Central Bank, Dept of Finance, ESRI, IMF, OECD....which of them has the better track record in forecasting (and no, I don't know the answer).
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Currency wars, trade wars, real wars!

Welcome to 2013 wool heads!

Doom and gloom, ha

How about boom?

And in case anyone thinks I'm referring to an economic boom,

I'm not,

I'm referring to the thermo-nuclear type!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    Currency wars, trade wars, real wars!

Welcome to 2013 wool heads!

Doom and gloom, ha

How about boom?

And in case anyone thinks I'm referring to an economic boom,

I'm not,

I'm referring to the thermo-nuclear type!
    I swear you might actually look forward to it a bit. I'd say as the flesh is seared off your bones by the nuclear blast the last electrical impulse in your brain would be to the 'I feckin told yis' centre!
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Unemployment to rise in 2014 and 2015 - NERI - RTÉ News

We're barely a week into the new year and already the government's over optimistic forecasts are being rubbished by people who know better. Are we ever likely to see and end to the current recession? Certainly things were worse (in real terms) in the 1930s, 50s and 80s but there's no question that the national mood is far more depressed than in those times, when at least jobs were much more easily available in other countries.
    Look on the bright side...house prices are going up in Dublin!

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gaiusc View Post
    Look on the bright side...house prices are going up in Dublin!
    Didn't some spoofer in the Irish media say that we needed a house price mini-mania to make us all feel good ?

Presumably somebody based in Dublin.

As if there is not enough debt in the Irish system already.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I lived through the 80's.

It took 10 years to emerge from the public sector spending spree initiated by Fianna Fail in 1977.

FF's more recent public sector spending spree in the early 2000s was much larger and will take more than 10 years to correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most main streets in Irish towns, are made up of chemists, bookies , discount stores and phone shops now. I know shops were busy at Christmas , but it was a light in the gloom of bad news and a long recession that people just wanted a bit of joy and make Christmas a " proper Christmas". Here even before Christmas , talk was that the big new discount store had reduced hours of staff, I mean if a 1.49€ store isn't doing as well as projected that's bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I lived through the 80's.

It took 10 years to emerge from the public sector spending spree initiated by Fianna Fail in 1977.

FF's more recent public sector spending spree in the early 2000s was much larger and will take more than 10 years to correct.
    Thank God for FG huh. Where would we be without them. Modern day superheros. If only we'd listened to them in opposition.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast