Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Private Media vs RTE: Turf War?

  1. #1

    Default Private Media vs RTE: Turf War?

    There's a trend I've long noted and once posted about here:
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/1...rte-tweet.html

    It's become more and more obvious over time - that is, the tendency to constantly impinge the integrity of RTE on as many issues as possible. The Kevin Reynolds debacle started it alongside the reaction to the Gallagher tweet story. To most genuinely non-biased observers, RTE made an honest mistake, and thatís about that, but because they're public sector, their mistakes get publically examined, reports published and they get dragged in front of Oireachtas committees and made apologise - possibly compromising their ability to defend a court action. They don't get the protections the likes of the indo, Times and others get when they mess up (so many libels to choose from...).

    But the frenzy continues. The Jim Sheridan story was not, as reported, Pat Rabbitte slams Sheridan, it was a kick RTE story. The article is here: RTE probe after 'deplorable' tweet attack on senator - National News - Independent.ie. Basically, in the opening line it says:

    COMMUNICATIONS Minister Pat Rabbitte has described a series of offensive tweets posted about Senator Ronan Mullen as "deplorable" and "offensive".
    So Rabbitte describe 'a series of tweets' as deplorable and offensive. And they were. I'm no Mullen fan, but it got very, very nasty. But, that isn't the story...

    The tweets, many of which were written by musical director of 'The Late Late Show', Jim Sheridan, contained words and images mocking Mr Mullen.
    Now, to the reader, the subtle implication, and the story that hit twitter is Rabbitte savages RTE producer. As you can see, he did no such thing. He criticised a series of tweets. Sheridan replied to a jokey Christ allegory, made his own one ("He'd be back in three days ... But we could have at least one great weekend without him appearing on TV or radio.") and that would have been that.

    Instead, other posters went to town and the thread became really ugly. Sheridan only posted twice more in it, both times to asked he be removed from such nastiness and basically telling them to cop on. But the Indo spun it into Comms Minister lashes RTE for staffs behaviour.

    But last night, Mr Rabbitte described the tweets as "dreadful and offensive" and said he could not see any humour in them. "I deplore this kind of communication from any source," he added.
    Still talking about the thread of tweets, not Sheridan. But here is the kicker....

    Mr Mullen said it was of concern that "such virulent nastiness" would come from someone within RTE.
    David Quinn tweeted it as:
    RTE probe after 'deplorable' tweet attack on Ronan Mullen... Notably no tweets from anyone at RTE attacking pro-choicers
    The 'probe' was the title of the article, but what RTE were actually quoted as saying was...
    A spokesperson for RTE said: "We are discussing the tweets with him in relation to our social media guidelines."
    . Is this now a probe? A company talking to its employee after an issue is raised is a 'probe'? Quinn has a tendency to play the RTE card anytime he's slated, an RTE freelancer Pat O'Mahony apologised in Dec 2012 for hot tempered comments he made about Quinn, but Quinn made a lot of the RTE connection - somehow forgetting Iona colleagues were practically camping in the RTE canteen for weeks around the Savita story.

    For years now RTE have been lambasted for being in hock to parties, be it too soft on FF (Tubridy/Joe Duffy's Bertie Ahern lov.. erm... Liveline), too harsh on FF (George Lee joining FG erupted that nest), being too soft/hard on SF (Adams/McGuinness) or now, giving Labour a soft ride.

    Right wingers constantly bemoan it for having a 'left wing Liberal agenda', and left wingers bemoan it for not exposing the truth, as they see it, from their side (say, not identifying contributors as Iona Institute members).

    Whatís not in question is that after a few mistakes, RTE is being critically mauled by the private press with an un reserved glee. Newstalk are the main culprits. One wonders the reasons why?

    Part of it is no doubt attacking a competitor for their failings, and RTE has been seen as holier than thou, it is 'relatively' sheltered from the advertising & subscription crisis now facing other media. It's a smaller pie and RTE have a lot of it.

    Some of it is jealousy, both corporate and journalistic, of the t&c's RTE's employee's enjoy. It is probably still considered the pinnacle of a career in journalism to work with RTE, with few figures in the country having the standing of seasoned journalists like O'Callaghan, Bowman, Davin-Power and co enjoying a credibility few in print or commentary can enjoy.

    Some of it is thinking RTE simply trying to get more sympathy for a position, by claiming bias by the giant in the room.

    But what's not in question is that every micro-episode that someone connected with RTE is involved in, is being used as a vehicle to chip away at RTE's credibility. Maybe it's time RTE stuck back and began reporting on the dificulties of other media groups.
    Last edited by civilserpant; 8th January 2013 at 05:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Asparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    What i like about Newstalk is the fact that they give people with jobs and wealth additional lucrative jobs.

    George Hook - Columnist, TV Sports Pundit, Author, The right hook, Georges's Saturday Sit in, NT VOs, Multimillionaire?
    Nora casey, Dragon, Publisher, Breakfast Presenter, Multimillionaire
    Bobby Kerr, Dragon, Insomnia Chairman, Multimillionaire, Down to business,
    Ivan Yates, Celtic book makers, TD pension, Ministerial pension, On sabbatical for bankruptcy
    Tom Dunne, Musician, Tv presenter, Radio Presenter, NT VOs
    Fionn Davenport Travel Writer, Travel Contributer to george, Presenter of Davenport after Dark

    Then there are the relief staff
    David Norris
    Fergus Finlay

    Former Staff include
    Eamon 4 jobs Dunphy
    David 5 jobs McWilliams

    We have no idea of celebrity in this country - at least in the UK they put pretty people in your face - here we just put well connected folk...

    Its ridiculous
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    What i like about Newstalk is the fact that they give people with jobs and wealth additional lucrative jobs.

    George Hook - Columnist, TV Sports Pundit, Author, The right hook, Georges's Saturday Sit in, NT VOs, Multimillionaire?
    Nora casey, Dragon, Publisher, Breakfast Presenter, Multimillionaire
    Bobby Kerr, Dragon, Insomnia Chairman, Multimillionaire, Down to business,
    Ivan Yates, Celtic book makers, TD pension, Ministerial pension, On sabbatical for bankruptcy
    Tom Dunne, Musician, Tv presenter, Radio Presenter, NT VOs
    Fionn Davenport Travel Writer, Travel Contributer to george, Presenter of Davenport after Dark

    Then there are the relief staff
    David Norris
    Fergus Finlay

    Former Staff include
    Eamon 4 jobs Dunphy
    David 5 jobs McWilliams

    We have no idea of celebrity in this country - at least in the UK they put pretty people in your face - here we just put well connected folk...

    Its ridiculous
    That's alright. You don't have to pay for it it you don't like it. You can opt out of paying people like the above.

    Noisetalk don't threaten to put you in jail for a month if you don't pay a stupid compulsory levy.

    You are free to choose.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Posts
    63,398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    While I agree with the OP, I think part of RT…'s public service remit is to take criticism of it more seriously, and to report and discuss criticism of it better, more fully and more fairly.

    For what it's worth, I think any accusation against RT… of having an anti-church or anti-FF agenda are utter claptrap. Nothing could be further from the case.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    RTE deserves everything it gets, it is a third rate operator, with overpaid presenters. It is a national joke, look at Pat Kenny last night, on B/S line, with Rabbite. On behalf of the public, kenny had an oppertunity to tackle the Minister on a number of questions, in relation to Rabbite's recent utterings. Kenny gave him a free ride. While this type of thing continues, RTE has only itself to blame.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Sell Pravda/RTE. End the stupid compulsory levy racket of extorting money from working families. Give the people their money back.

    Enough of this priveleged quango and the Montrose Millionaires. It has descended into an abuse of the people's money.

    We want to have a choice in respect of the montrose quango, and the stupid Pravda levy.

    Let those who like Pravda/RTE make a donation.

    And let those that want to spend the money on groceries opt out.

    It is a matter of free choice.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Sell Pravda/RTE. End the stupid compulsory levy racket of extorting money from working families. Give the people their money back.

    Enough of this priveleged quango and the Montrose Millionaires. It has descended into an abuse of the people's money.

    We want to have a choice in respect of the montrose quango, and the stupid Pravda levy.

    Let those who like Pravda/RTE make a donation.

    And let those that want to spend the money on groceries opt out.

    It is a matter of free choice.
    What a load of rubbish. I have no connection with RTE but, without it, we would be left with just TV3. Some of the presenters are overpaid but otherwise it provides programming of a quality the other stations cannot match (I make an exception for "Off the Ball" on Newstalk).

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crossman View Post
    What a load of rubbish. I have no connection with RTE but, without it, we would be left with just TV3. Some of the presenters are overpaid but otherwise it provides programming of a quality the other stations cannot match (I make an exception for "Off the Ball" on Newstalk).
    Your argument completely ignores the distortional effect of the Pravda levy on the rest of the media sector.

    TV3's Tonight with Vincent Browne is probably the only current affairs program that consistently demands the answers to the questions that people want answered. It survives based on merit, with the free consent of the viewing people, and not based on the needs of the regime to pretend that there is objectivity.

    Rabbitte's soft treatment last night indicates the real standard on Pravda/RTE.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Your argument completely ignores the distortional effect of the Pravda levy on the rest of the media sector.

    TV3's Tonight with Vincent Browne is probably the only current affairs program that consistently demands the answers to the questions that people want answered. It survives based on merit, with the free consent of the viewing people, and not based on the needs of the regime to pretend that there is objectivity.

    Rabbitte's soft treatment last night indicates the real standard on Pravda/RTE.
    If you think V. Browne's showbiz approach to current affairs is worthwhile, then I see no point in continuing to discuss this matter.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Imperial Throne
    Posts
    44,291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    While I agree with the OP, I think part of RT…'s public service remit is to take criticism of it more seriously, and to report and discuss criticism of it better, more fully and more fairly.

    For what it's worth, I think any accusation against RT… of having an anti-church or anti-FF agenda are utter claptrap. Nothing could be further from the case.
    You are truly truly blind.

    For years RTE have promoted an attitude hostile to traditional catholic teaching in the area of sexual morality.

    It has done this

    a] by ensuring that issues of this kind where they are discussed are only covered by church spokespersons who in the vast majority of cases disagreed with their own church. [This is particularly noticeable in the area of priestly celibacy/women priests with the usual predictable group of disgruntled priests and theologians wheeled out]

    b] Giving undue prominence to persons and minority organisations holding viewpoints deeply hostile to catholic church teaching such as the pro abortion,pro divorce and especially the gay/lesbian groups.


    On the political front RTE have for years selected numbers of Labour party spokespersons completely out of proportion to their numerical electoral base. This can only be deliberate and reflects the strong left wing ideology that permeates the organisation.
    Last edited by The Field Marshal; 8th January 2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •