Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Garda come North? Don't think so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Garda come North? Don't think so...

The rumor mill has been rife the last few days that Garda riot officers have been deployed in Belfast. Loyalist FB pages were going bickies. Turns out the whole rumor was started by the Belfastdaily. Would be interesting to know what's going on in the background here...

Belfast Daily and their 'senior security source'
    I am grateful to those who contacted me with the answer to the question, who runs the Belfast Daily website?

I have been informed that it is run by the company Donegal Daily Ltd, which also operates the Donegal Daily website. The company is based at Tullygay, outside Letterkenny, and is run by Stephen William Maguire and Brenda O'Neill. According to a directors website 'Stephen William Maguire is Irish and was born in 1970.' The company was established in January 2011 and this was his first directorship. Brenda O'Neill was born in 1967 and joined the company at the end of December 2011.

That leaves us with a second question. Who was the 'senior security source' who provided them with the erroneous story and did they attempt to check out the information he gave them before publishing it? Even the BBC has been reminded in recent days abotu the importance of checking cources.
    Nelson's View: Belfast Daily and their 'senior security source'
    Don't tread on me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by centauro View Post
    The rumor mill has been rife the last few days that Garda riot officers have been deployed in Belfast. Loyalist FB pages were going bickies. Turns out the whole rumor was started by the Belfastdaily. Would be interesting to know what's going on in the background here...

Apparently back in the 19th century when there was rioting in Belfast the RIC men from the South (nearly all good Catholics!) were sent North to police the streets

- and presumably crack skulls!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They've been pushing a lot of crap lately. Either they are ************************e or very funny
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just the lies we need at the moment to calm things down..
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Garrett Fitzgerald in one of his more imbecilic moments proposed an All-Ireland police force! And correctly took a lot of flack for it!
    Get real re our pigs down South they're all about doing as little as possible for huge wages and allowances and increments and ultimately retiring incomprehensively early relative to private sector workers and maybe going into the B and B business or opening up a driving school or both!
    They would have no intention of putting themselves on Loyalist turf and in direct danger as a consequence!
    It will be interesting to see how the handle the inevitable on home soil when the other clowns come down to act the bollex!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The rumor mill has been rife the last few days that Garda riot officers have been deployed in Belfast. Loyalist FB pages were going bickies.
    Who would believe such a thing? I know some of those loyalists sites are not frequented by the brightest of the PUL community, but even so it would be saying something if anyone believed such sh*te.

Politics.ie Member Tommythesash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Think again, the Garda have already been in Derry.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommythesash View Post
    Think again, the Garda have already been in Derry.
    My Mother and I were in a car crash in Donegal a few years ago, minor enough.
    Two Gardai came on the scene and took our details, (addresses in Derry, phone numbers etc) and said they'd get in touch.
    Apparently the other driver was a bit of of a boy racer, had form and something of a big thing in the village.
    I got a shock about a month later, when I opened the door to the same 2 Gardai standing at the door of my mothers house in Derry .
    They were dressed in suits, but were on duty, and took my Ma's statement in the living room.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Edit:
    Double tap.

Politics.ie Member O'Sullivan Bere's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Truth.ie View Post
    My Mother and I were in a car crash in Donegal a few years ago, minor enough.
    Two Gardai came on the scene and took our details, (addresses in Derry, phone numbers etc) and said they'd get in touch.
    Apparently the other driver was a bit of of a boy racer, had form and something of a big thing in the village.
    I got a shock about a month later, when I opened the door to the same 2 Gardai standing at the door of my mothers house in Derry .
    They were dressed in suits, but were on duty, and took my Ma's statement in the living room.
    I'm all for that IMO. For example, it's the kind of video here that ticks me off:

Gardaí High Speed Chase

I know that road all too well myself. Where's the 'hot pursuit' permissions between the ROI and NI? I want people who believe in an 'all Ireland' approach to criminal misconduct pursued in those kinds of situations. I don't care if a PSNI chases a guy like that all the way to Kerry or a Gard chases another like that to Giant's Causeway. Do society a favour here...continue your pursuit, call in for local assistance and get them...and then charge them with violations in both jurisdictions for all the offences they've committed in the process to deter and punish it all the more so.

How about a common crime stopper approach to paedophiles who prey on our kids in a cross border fashion? Yet, it's the same old red tape and politically delinquent situation as Jim Wells pointed out, e.g.,

. . .

Mr Wells:
    This issue has come up several times in Committee, particularly during the Committee Stage of the Safeguarding Board Bill. The sad thing is that all recent history has shown that those involved in such activities drift across the border regularly, be it clerical sex abuse or people working in schools or other areas. For example, if I am living in Strabane and commit an offence, I am registered, and AccessNI will immediately pick that up. I may then drift into Lifford, all of 500 yards across the border, and become involved as a volunteer in a youth group. I may then be thrown out of that for totally inappropriate behaviour but not be convicted. I may wander back into Strabane and take up another paid role. None of that information follows me. Therefore, what the legislative consent motion is trying to achieve is almost totally negated by the fact that people can drift back and forwards across the border, as such individuals do regularly — they perhaps have a higher propensity for doing that than ordinary folk. Surely that drives a coach and horses through what the legislative consent motion is trying to achieve.

Ms Lewsley:
    The legislative consent motion is more about looking at the structures that need to be put in place for Northern Ireland to share that information. At present, those structures are AccessNI and the Independent Safeguarding Authority. We then have to look at how we work to ensure that we share information across the border. I am not sure that our not supporting the legislative consent motion would strengthen the lines of communication and sharing of information that needs to happen across the border.

Mr Wells:
    Should we as an Assembly not use this motion as an excuse to highlight once again the fact that the border is entirely porous as far as this issue is concerned? What happens the other way round? Does any intelligence follow someone from Northern Ireland into the Republic as opposed to from the Republic into Northern Ireland?

. . .
    Northern Ireland Assembly - Health, Social Services and Public Safety - Protection of Freedoms Bill: Legislative Consent Motion - Northern Ireland Commissioner For Children and Young People

How about a common effort to keep out or detect Irish people or those who are not even Irish who come to fleece Irish residents both in NI and ROI of their hard earned tax money by robbing the dole in both jurisdictions, e.g.?

Non Irish cheating the Irish taxpayers in NI and ROI on welfare systems - YouTube

How about common efforts to police Ireland of criminal and/or illegal immigrants? Busting and foiling drug dealers and other contraband traders? Gangs? Terrorists? It's well overdue IMO and serves our common interests.
    Last edited by O'Sullivan Bere; 8th January 2013 at 10:26 PM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast