Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 117 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Border poll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Border poll

Sinn Fein seem to be steaming ahead, pushing for a border poll...I've no real view on it, other than it will cost a lot of money and will I have to pay? The other question is what would we be voting for? Is there somewhere I can read up on Sinn Feins plans? will a garda ford fiesta just trundle up from Dundalk, the boot stuffed with flegs for all the public buildings? We should be told.

Sinn Féin in the coming weeks will launch a campaign for a Border poll on a united Ireland, Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams has said in a new year’s statement.
    SF to seek Border poll on united Ireland - The Irish Times - Wed, Jan 02, 2013
    Don't tread on me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds good. Let's have at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is no point. They only want one so they can set Itin motion for every 7 years. Depressing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    There is no point. They only want one so they can set Itin motion for every 7 years. Depressing.
    If the poll was a flop for them would it still have to be held again in seven years? If so then the Sinners are deliberately trying to create instability.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

SF/IRA would run a mile from a border poll the result would make them a even bigger laughing stock...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member DavidCaldwell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would be in favour of holding a border poll.

But if we have repeated polls, would they also be repeated after a vote in favour of NI being part of the Republic.
    An East Irish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    Not true. There's no obligation to hold a poll every seven years after the first one. That's just the minimum time span permitted between polls.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Much like the prospect of a separate NI rugby team, it is much harder to create something new, than to merely continue with what is in place. Even if the population was 80 per cent Nationalist, a united Ireland would not be guaranteed, given the largesse of the English exchequer in the North.

Pushing for a border boll at this juncture makes little sense in my view. It will be defeated, though likely by less than many think, I'd say the UI vote could get as high as 38 to 40 per cent.

The time for it is in 25 to 30 years, when Unionist demographics have irretrievably tilted, and Loyalism's addiction to ethnic cleansing and murder has been cowed or otherwise mollified.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    SF/IRA would run a mile from a border poll the result would make them a even bigger laughing stock...
    OO/UVF has a nice ring to it, no?

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Covenanter View Post
    If the poll was a flop for them would it still have to be held again in seven years? If so then the Sinners are deliberately trying to create instability.
    It doesn't have to be held every 7 years thereafter, it just can't be held for at least another 7 years.

Page 1 of 117 123451151101 ... LastLast