Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest number of Job Creations / Lowest Job Losses in 10 years announced 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Biggest number of Job Creations / Lowest Job Losses in 10 years announced 2012

'Keeping 12.5% tax rate vital' - National News, Breaking News - Independent.ie

As IDA Ireland revealed 6,570 jobs were created in 2012, the minister insisted that employment cannot be boosted by taxing work.

"We have to realise we are in a very competitive environment. One of the issues that people look at is the so-called tax wedge. The gap between what the employer pays and the employee receives," Mr Bruton said. "It is undoubtedly one of the issues that companies look at when they are sizing up different countries."

The minister welcomed the latest figures from IDA, the Government agency responsible for attracting direct foreign investment to Ireland. Its 2012 report shows the number of jobs created last year is the highest in more than a decade, while the 6,152 job losses are the lowest in over 10 years.

Mr Bruton said creating jobs is a top priority and that tax is an issue the Government has to be aware of. "We are conscious that if you want to create employment you can't tax work." But he added: "I'm not trying to make a pronouncement on budgetary strategy."
    Are the two bolded statements above consistant with the day to day reality of 200 emigrations ?
    is this creative job counting?
    I mean if you read this then for 10 years we have had less than 6570 jobs created each year and more than 6152.
    That suggests that we probably had much of the decade since 2002 with a deficit in job creation.

Is that anyone's experience - i am sick of automatically baulking at whatever the govt announce - but i am just so bewildered by this.

In other words am i taking crazy pills?
    2000 job losses where announce in eircom alone.

here are the IDAs announcements year by year... are these actually happening?

Announcements - IDA Ireland Investment Promotion Agency
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Its great news all the same.

Surprised none of the doomsters posted it earlier

Shouldn`t last more than a page or two though !!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Slightly dampened by the huge numbers emigrating but still great news.

Being discussed now by Matt Cooper who has Richard Bruton on hos show.

birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    'Keeping 12.5% tax rate vital' - National News, Breaking News - Independent.ie

Are the two bolded statements above consistant with the day to day reality of 200 emigrations ?
    is this creative job counting?
    I mean if you read this then for 10 years we have had less than 6570 jobs created each year and more than 6152.
    That suggests that we probably had much of the decade since 2002 with a deficit in job creation.

Is that anyone's experience - i am sick of automatically baulking at whatever the govt announce - but i am just so bewildered by this.

In other words am i taking crazy pills?
    2000 job losses where announce in eircom alone.

here are the IDAs announcements year by year... are these actually happening?

Announcements - IDA Ireland Investment Promotion Agency
    What have Eircom got to do with IDA supported jobs?
    We know most political parties are in favour of 12.5% corp tax.
    How many are in favour of ensuring that all companies operating in Ireland actually pay 12.5%.
    They would want to get their act together because this is likely to become a stick to beat us with in Europe aside from the general moral issue.

Personally, if I own shares either directly or through a pension scheme I would like the company to pay the headline corporation tax rate of the jurisdiction in which it operates.
    Unless the process is reversed more and more taxes are going to be paid by individuals, with companies avoiding their basic responsibilities.
    I do not think most people who hold pensions would mind if companies in their fund paid a basic minimum (at least the headline rate of the jurisdiction they are based in).
    Where are the trade unions on this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Buy Irish
    Shop in Ireland
    Staycations
    The Gathering
    Invest in New Staff

Lets lift Ireland by its bootstraps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Buy Irish
    Shop in Ireland
    Staycations
    The Gathering
    Invest in New Staff

Lets lift Ireland by its bootstraps
    I applaud all of the sentiments above.

I'd really get behind Enda et al if I though he had any solidarity with me ... when we will he take a realistic pay cut?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fides View Post
    Great news... really
    As Asparagus points out are we talking about a net 418 jobs created. You certainly wouldn't think so based on the number of new jobs announced through the year. This is actually pretty poor. I thought we were doing quite well with FDI. How much have these net 418 jobs cost to create in terms of granst and the cost of running the IDA.
    asparagus cant read.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great news, I hope some of those former construction employees have re-trained by now and are in a position to avail of some of those jobs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe View Post
    I applaud all of the sentiments above.

I'd really get behind Enda et al if I though he had any solidarity with me ... when we will he take a realistic pay cut?
    He should lead by taking No Salary for 2013.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harshreality View Post
    Great news, I hope some of those former construction employees have re-trained by now and are in a position to avail of some of those jobs.
    Oh they are alright ... in Australia.

They're mostly high end jobs.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast