Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish towns and cities are cleaner than most in Europe

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish towns and cities are cleaner than most in Europe

Isn't this excellent news? I remember when most towns had a major litter problem. Now it seems that people's attitudes have really changed.

I think the IBAL (Irish Business Against Litter) folks deserve a huge pat on the back. Their litter league tables really shamed some towns into cleaning up their act. I remember Navan being a perennial mess but it seems even the dirtier towns are copping on.

Irish cities and towns cleaner than EU average - RTÉ News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    Isn't this excellent news? I remember when most towns had a major litter problem. Now it seems that people's attitudes have really changed.

I think the IBAL (Irish Business Against Litter) folks deserve a huge pat on the back. Their litter league tables really shamed some towns into cleaning up their act. I remember Navan being a perennial mess but it seems even the dirtier towns are copping on.

Our towns are getting cleaner but we still have litter louts who drop rubbish and especially cigarette butts, litter wardens need to fine these people. We could also do with a lot more litter bins on our streets.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just find that so hard to believe.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe View Post
    I just find that so hard to believe.
    That's what happens when you hang Politics.ir for too long.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Country roads are in a terrible state.
    The ditches are full of rubbish thrown from passing cars.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    Our towns are getting cleaner but we still have litter louts who drop rubbish and especially cigarette butts, litter wardens need to fine these people. We could also do with a lot more litter bins on our streets.
    Yes, there still is room for improvements. We should aim for being the cleanest. The lack of bins is irritating. Did they take them away?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cavan's kicking ass again, I see. Yay.

(Yeah, we're too feckin' mayne to thrrow antin' away....sigh)
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post

Thanks to the EU and the enforced austerity we have less disposable income and thus less litter.
    A prosperous Ireland is a dirty Ireland.

Long live tayto wrappers soiling the countryside.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well done Enda.

Another achievement for our FG/Lab govt.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    Cavan's kicking ass again, I see. Yay.

(Yeah, we're too feckin' mayne to thrrow antin' away....sigh)
    I suppose dumping of laundered fuel waste doesnt count?

Cash-strapped local authorities are facing growing bills to clean up toxic sludge created by illegal fuel laundering.

Louth County Council yesterday said its costs for removing and transporting diesel wash have increased by about 20% so far this year, and will outstrip the €1m-plus it cost last year.

Monaghan County Council said it has recovered 288,640 litres of toxic sludge so far this year — far exceeding last year’s total of 198,800l.

It means its costs for dealing with the problem is also likely to top €1m this year.

Both local authorities — and those of Meath and Cavan — are likely to enter into a new tender agreement in future for the disposal of the waste in a bid to cut costs.

At present there is no facility in Ireland at which the diesel wash — waste material left over from fuel laundering — can be processed and disposed of.

The waste material must be transported to the Lindenschmidt facility in Germany, adding to the overall cost.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast