Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A new departure for North Korea?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A new departure for North Korea?

What are the chances of the two Koreas being unified anytime soon?

In what was quite a conciliatory New Year’s speech, Kim Jong-Un largely spoke about unifying the two Koreas and of improving the North Korean economy.

North Korean leader reaches out to South - YouTube

Following on from this speech, the German newspaper Spiegel is now reporting that the North Korean regime;

“has enlisted the help of German economic and legal experts to lay the groundwork for foreign investment in North Korean companies.

… Such a move would be revolutionionary for North Korea , which has long been largely cut off from the rest of the world by virtue of its heavy-handed regime. The country's economy is in a shambles as a result. But since Kim Jong Un took over from his late father just over a year ago, there have been signs of change.

His New Year's address was the most obvious indication that he is prepared to embark on a path different from the one followed by his father, Kim Jong Il. Indeed, even holding such an address was a departure; it marked the first such speech by a North Korean leader since Kim Il Sung held the last one in 1994”.

German Paper Reports North Korea Preparing Economic Opening - SPIEGEL ONLINE

So what are chances of all of this coming to pass? Off the North Korean regime opening up to the outside world and two Koreas being unified at some stage in the future? Is this just more empty rhetoric from North Korea in the hope of obtaining more concessions for the country in the form of economic aid etc? Or will Kim Jong-Un’s words being backed up with actions?

As the article quoted above also rightly points out, Kim Jong-Un’s intentions if sincere will come up against fierce resistance from the military.

"The military in North Korea… will not want to give up power. … it is by no means clear whether Kim's reform efforts will be able to overcome military resistance”.
    Last edited by Tough Paddy; 5th January 2013 at 07:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd say it's a trick to get economic aide as past addresses have done.

I always thought Ireland would have a better chance of reunification than Korea.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps he is under pressure to do so.

Keeping a country completely isolated was a bit easier in the time of his grandfather but in the modern era ordinary North Koreans have to be aware of how poor their peninsula is compared to the southern half, and indeed the rest of the world.

He may, just may, be slightly more realistic than what came before him.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    I'd say it's a trick to get economic aide as past addresses have done.

I always thought Ireland would have a better chance of reunification than Korea.
    I'm not sure about that. I don't think we'll see an united Ireland again until at least a minimum of 50 years. It will take at least that long before some of the deep hatred held by both sides for each other is bred away (for the want of a better expression).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harshreality View Post
    Keeping a country completely isolated was a bit easier in the time of his grandfather but in the modern era ordinary North Koreans have to be aware of how poor their peninsula is compared to the southern half, and indeed the rest of the world.
    It was never really isolated or self-reliant anyway - in the Soviet period it was kept afloat by "friendship prices" for oil. Once they had to pay market price everything collapsed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tough Paddy View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I don't think we'll see an united Ireland again until at least a minimum of 50 years. It will take at least that long before some of the deep hatred held by both sides for each other is bred away (for the want of a better expression).
    It'll take quicker than that if Independent News & Media goes to the wall

As for Korea, who knows? Kim Jong Healy-Rae Junior could well be pressured into war by his generals. Hopefully not though.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's also the following question: Under what circumstances would South Korea accept reunification?

From an economical perspective reunification may not be a good move for South Korea. Germany spend tons of money trying to build up the former GDR. It was difficult for them, imagine how difficult it would be to build up North Korea for South Korea from a financial viewpoint.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by florin View Post
    It was never really isolated or self-reliant anyway - in the Soviet period it was kept afloat by "friendship prices" for oil. Once they had to pay market price everything collapsed.
    Yes very true but communist to communist diplomatic relations were not really what I was getting at.

Even China seems to have become a bit tired of the North Koreans at this stage so they need to change the game a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    There's also the following question: Under what circumstances would South Korea accept reunification?

From an economical perspective reunification may not be a good move for South Korea. Germany spend tons of money trying to build up the former GDR. It was difficult for them, imagine how difficult it would be to build up North Korea for South Korea from a financial viewpoint.
    Very true and what politics what dominant a unified Korea? The capitalist South system or the communist North system or a mish mash between the two? Doesn't sound like it would work out.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post

As far as I'm aware South Korean workers pay very little in the form of income tax etc. A pittance compared to other developed countries. I'd expect to see a reunification tax being put on the people of South Korea in the event of any potential unification which no doubt would be met with resistance from some South Koreans.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast