Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Does Northern Ireland have an Extradition Treaty with the UK?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Does Northern Ireland have an Extradition Treaty with the UK?

    As the title states. I was intrigued by the story of a young man who returned to Northern Ireland to visit his mother. On attempting to return to Scotland he was arrested for rioting that took place last year. The judge remanded him because he was considered a flight risk.

    So does the North have an Extradition Treaty with the UK?

    'Rioter' arrested boarding ferry - UTV Live News
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member A view from England's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK and Limerick County (not City)
    Posts
    2,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    As the title states. I was intrigued by the story of a young man who returned to Northern Ireland to visit his mother. On attempting to return to Scotland he was arrested for rioting that took place last year. The judge remanded him because he was considered a flight risk.

    So does the North have an Extradition Treaty with the UK?

    'Rioter' arrested boarding ferry - UTV Live News
    Northern Ireland is part of the UK, so why would an extradition treaty need to be in place?
    “The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. ”
    ― Margaret Thatcher

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A view from England View Post
    Northern Ireland is part of the UK, so why would an extradition treaty need to be in place?
    Did you read the article or the OP? If your argument stands then why was he simply not arrested and returned to Ireland for trial?
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A flight risk?

    Could he not have promised to get the ferry instead?

    People born and raised in Dublin and permanently residing in Dublin can also be considered a flight risk.
    It can be based on the fact that an individual has nothing tying them to a particular location ie family, employment etc.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,955
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    As the title states. I was intrigued by the story of a young man who returned to Northern Ireland to visit his mother. On attempting to return to Scotland he was arrested for rioting that took place last year. The judge remanded him because he was considered a flight risk.

    So does the North have an Extradition Treaty with the UK?

    'Rioter' arrested boarding ferry - UTV Live News
    He was a flight risk from the North, so he was remanded in custody.. it was done simply to save resources of the PSNI and Scottish police having to go looking for the little scum bag.. nothing at all to do with "extradition"
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member A view from England's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK and Limerick County (not City)
    Posts
    2,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    Did you read the article or the OP? If your argument stands then why was he simply not arrested and returned to Ireland for trial?
    Remanded for being a flight risk, ie is likely to do a runner, not pose a threat to the Ryanair staff.
    “The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. ”
    ― Margaret Thatcher

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Roy Feen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    Did you read the article or the OP? If your argument stands then why was he simply not arrested and returned to Ireland for trial?
    Edit: misread the article.

    An extradition treaty would not be needed between member states of the UK.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Fair enough. I don't understand then why he simply was not arrested and returned while in Scotland.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Roy Feen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    Fair enough. I don't understand then why he simply was not arrested and returned while in Scotland.
    Probably wasn't very high up on the list of priorities for the Scottish cops. They have their own sectarian rioters to be dealing with.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Chrisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    Did you read the article or the OP? If your argument stands then why was he simply not arrested and returned to Ireland for trial?
    Maybe they didn't know where he was...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •