Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Iraq about to blow......again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is Iraq about to blow......again?

Mass protests have sprang up across Iraq reminiscent of the people power movement in Syria. The mainly Sunni protesters have risen up against the increasingly despotic Iraqi PM Nouri al-Maliki, with many sporting the flags of the Free Syria movement as well as the Saddam era Iraqi national flag. Their objectives it seems is to depose Maliki, his Shia government and cast of the spectre of Iranian domination. Could we see Iraq spiral out of control, once again into a bloody sectarian civil war between the Sunnis and Shia?

BBC News - Protests engulf west Iraq as Anbar rises against Maliki

BBC News - Iraqi Sunnis stage protests against 'discrimination'

Iraq Could Dissolve Parliament in 48 Hours, Sources Say - US News and World Report

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/01/wo...dead.html?_r=0

Religious map of Iraq:

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the continued absence of Iraq's president, Jalal Talabani, does no good to Iraq's stability either. The following link might be interesting for anyone who wants to read up on Iraq's situation:

Exit the Conciliator - By Peter W. Galbraith | Foreign Policy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain....there's a big power struggle going on in that region which is effectively between Shia and Sunni.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain....there's a big power struggle going on in that region which is effectively between Shia and Sunni.
    Yup. Will likely lead to a wider ME conflict between Sunnis and Shia that will make the sectarian conflict in NI between Catholics and Protestants look like a heated argument at the Trinity Debating Society.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Please not here with my question I am not in any way supporting a decent into war because if the terrible toil it would inflict on the ordinary people of Iraq.

Whom would be the best side to come out on top on the Middle East, the Sunni Muslims seem to be in the vast majority wide while the Shia seem to have power greater than there numbers in the Middle East due to the control of Iran but in say this the salafist whackos in Saudi are just as bad as the Iranians.

Now I will also state that I feel religion is a tool of control and the means to remain in power by the ruling classes, but it naive to think that a majority if middle Easters will all wake up and free their minds over night or at all.

With a completely over the top cynical veiw would it not be best to allow a region wide war breakout, let the two branches of Islam wage jihad against each other until the Sunni come out on top with a little help from the west but not massive ground operations?

Would a million or two Muslim casualties really bother the west, we have stood by while 60,000 thousand Syrians got blown away so I don't think we'd care if we added a few zeros.
    Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -6.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlowIn View Post
    Please not here with my question I am not in any way supporting a decent into war because if the terrible toil it would inflict on the ordinary people of Iraq.

Whom would be the best side to come out on top on the Middle East, the Sunni Muslims seem to be in the vast majority wide while the Shia seem to have power greater than there numbers in the Middle East due to the control of Iran but in say this the salafist whackos in Saudi are just as bad as the Iranians.

Now I will also state that I feel religion is a tool of control and the means to remain in power by the ruling classes, but it naive to think that a majority if middle Easters will all wake up and free their minds over night or at all.

With a completely over the top cynical veiw would it not be best to allow a region wide war breakout, let the two branches of Islam wage jihad against each other until the Sunni come out on top with a little help from the west but not massive ground operations?

Would a million or two Muslim casualties really bother the west, we have stood by while 60,000 thousand Syrians got blown away so I don't think we'd care if we added a few zeros.
    If religious identity is so important to the people, then ideally Sunnis and Shias should have have autonomy in regions where they're the (vast?) majority. But that would involve a massive redrawing of borders.

In Iraq, the Shias were treated like third class citizens under Saddam Hussein. The boot's on the other foot now. That's the way it goes.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks shqiptar, if a massive redrawing of borders is impossible which I agree with you on that then the mass re education of Muslims into a secular society will never happen either.

Religion is a persons choice but these poor people will never be free until the cast dogma and belief in false doctrine's aside.

But turkey for all it's faults seems to be a bit more normal in its balance of been Muslim and somewhat progressive.

I mean when you see the blatant manipulation of hatred for Israel by Muslim governments which is not fuelled by genuine concern for the Palestinian people but merely another tool in the box to allow regimes to maintain control.

It's a sad and terrible future for the children of the region.
    Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -6.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This all comes back to the arbitrary borders that were drawn in the sand by the colonial powers in the early 20th century. That and scumbags stirring up hatred of each other because one worships Mohammed in a slightly different way to the other.

As for Iran being evil I don't buy it. Maybe it's leadership but Persian culture is ancient and fascinating and any Iranians I've met (not too many mind you) have been very pleasant people. There has been 30 years of propaganda teaching us the evilness of Iran but I'd take them over the Saudi loons anyday. I'd say the US would too but they are locked in because of the oil.
    The minute oil runs out or we discover cold fusion or whatever that place will return to being a desert full of camel herders but now it will have ghost cities in it. In a few short decades they will be claiming Allah put them there.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    If religious identity is so important to the people, then ideally Sunnis and Shias should have have autonomy in regions where they're the (vast?) majority. But that would involve a massive redrawing of borders.

In Iraq, the Shias were treated like third class citizens under Saddam Hussein. The boot's on the other foot now. That's the way it goes.
    Don't forget the Kurds. A distinct people in their own right, they richly deserve a state of their own carved from Turkey, Iran & Iraq. Not a snowball's chance in oil-fired hell of it happening, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    Don't forget the Kurds. A distinct people in their own right, they richly deserve a state of their own carved from Turkey, Iran & Iraq. Not a snowball's chance in oil-fired hell of it happening, though.
    The Kurds are perhaps closer than they've ever been to realising their dream of an independent Kurdish homeland, with Iraqi Kurdistan forming the nucleus of a potential new state. Unfortunately it will be far smaller, for now, than the historical region. Syrian Kurdistan has also managed to break free of Assad as well as the FSA and seems poised to link up with the Kurds in Iraq.

Turkey, who are supporting the Sunnis in Syria and Iraq, must be sh!tting itself with the thoughts of losing its Kurdish regions that had been oppressed for so long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast