Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: H-Block art. Paddy Cooney objects to "terrorist " installation by Shane Cullen.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default H-Block art. Paddy Cooney objects to "terrorist " installation by Shane Cullen.

H-Block art work raises ire of ex-Minister - News - Roundup - Articles - Westmeath Independent

"First of all, I don't think it is art and secondly, the theme is inappropriate. If it was removed I'd shed no tears," Mr Cooney said this week of the 'Fragmens sur les Institutions Republicaines IV 1993-1997,' exhibit by Longford artist Shane Cullen.

The controversial installation consists of black panels on which Mr Cullen has painstakingly hand-painted messages from IRA prisoners smuggled out of jail during the H-Block protests in Northern Ireland in the 1980s.

I'm not a member of the PIRA fanclub but Paddy Cooneys' objections are way over the top imho. Unless you're of the Yeatsian school of Art causing young men to go out and etc etc.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah who'd expect an Irish Minister to know anything of art. Those langballs spent much of the last century condemning Joyce.

If they knew anything about art they'd have emigrated. The only contact Irish politicians have with art is in stealing stuff off the walls of the offices when they've lost an election.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    H-Block art work raises ire of ex-Minister - News - Roundup - Articles - Westmeath Independent

I'm not a member of the PIRA fanclub but Paddy Cooneys' objections are way over the top imho. Unless you're of the Yeatsian school of Art causing young men to go out and etc etc.

I object to his objection.

Nice to see the Young fellow following on in his fathers reactionary right wing politics. It reminds me why I will never ever vote for the blue shirts.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinemartin View Post
    I object to his objection.

Nice to see the Young fellow following on in his fathers reactionary right wing politics. It reminds me why I will never ever vote for the blue shirts.
    And Paddy was a right auld Blueshirt - very tolerant of the methods of the Heavy Gang.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the very depths of the Bush second term I had to go to Washington. Went along to an exhibition of political satirical cartoons at a well known gallery with some colleagues in the evening.

There were a few pieces of installation art there- right under the nose of the White House there was a grave installed with a headstone using the dates of the declaration of Independence and the date of Bush's second inauguration as 'Born and Died' dates and the inscription read 'United States of America'.

That may not have gone down terribly well with the Bush junta then in evidence around Washington but I was impressed that it was there and the thought was that at least not all dissent can be stifled by bullying and charges of 'supporting terrorism' and so on.

And since when did Irish politicians become art critics? What is it that gives invariably right wing politicians the notion that they can decide what happens to be art?

If it is a statement on the human condition under any circumstances then it is art. That'll be 50p for the knowledge, ex-Minister.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh dear, old Turdsl ain't gonna like this. His good friend Paddy Cooney, and all.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Faecal excretions make for pisspoor art.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wasn't the 'H-Block art work' made by men on-the-blanket literally sh1t? I guess this artist decided it would be less offensive to the nostrils to make his tribute only metaphorically sh1t.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Never knew about this, i do now,thanks to paddy cooney.
    Must pop in and see it next week.
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cooney's the chap who poured concrete over Frank Stagg's coffin in a Mayo graveyard?
    Nut-case.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast