Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Media violence and the effects. (uni assignment)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Media violence and the effects. (uni assignment)

Hi guys Studying for my final term in uni thought I'd start a discussion on Media violence and the effects it possibly has as its one of my modules, I'm firmly on the side that there is no correlation (will maybe some) but through readings I've found perpetrators of violent crime are less likely to participate in any types of media violence, one reason due to being they can't afford the tools i.e, games consoles, dvds, internet.

So what ever you guys have throw it this way, reading endless amounts of studies just start to get boaring so I want to here actually peoples views and maybe I'll get a broader view helping me further with my study. thanks.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Media have an enormous influence on the opinions of the target population.

Otherwise, as an example, a certain multinational company would not spend billions on advertisements telling us to drink a multinationally recognised drink which is nothing more than piss laced with an almighty amount of sugar.

Make no mistake about it media violence has an enormous influence on deciding what is acceptable in society.

That may be 'boaring' [boring] but it is true.

A more interesting topic closer to home woud be Social Media violence and the effects.
    For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

YOU ARE SO WRONG AND IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP OR I WILL SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE

Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsEvolution View Post
    Hi guys Studying for my final term in uni thought I'd start a discussion on Media violence and the effects it possibly has as its one of my modules, I'm firmly on the side that there is no correlation (will maybe some) but through readings I've found perpetrators of violent crime are less likely to participate in any types of media violence, one reason due to being they can't afford the tools i.e, games consoles, dvds, internet.

So what ever you guys have throw it this way, reading endless amounts of studies just start to get boaring so I want to here actually peoples views and maybe I'll get a broader view helping me further with my study. thanks.
    Define "Media Violence" please?

Are you talking about depictions of violent acts in the media?

(P.S. You are in Final year at University? Has your spelling skill ever come up during your time in college?)
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've just finished playing Medieval Total War 2. I'm off to invade France.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't tell you how many times I have been invited to office Christmas parties and while I am popping into a nearby room to freshen up I hear the sounds of gunfire as German terrorists take over building to steal from the vault. There are only so many wifebeater vests in my drawer and there are only so many pieces of glass I can pick out of my bare feet.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would wager that on the whole, people who play violent video games regularly are less violent or likely to commit violent acts than those who dont. Im not so sure if this would hold true in the case of very young children (in the 5-10 age group) but teenagers up, I would say its true.

Statistically, we've never lived in a safer time. A large part of that, in my opinion, at least in the developed countries where gaming is popular, is that whereas the of youth of previous eras would have been getting up to mischief throughout their teens, they now spend their days racking up kill streaks in Call of Duty.

One worrying trend I do see coming as a result of the internet though is more psycopatic tendenices developing in youth. Psychopaths need not be violent, they simply dont have a level of emphaty with others that could be considered 'normal'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    Define "Media Violence" please?

Are you talking about depictions of violent acts in the media?

(P.S. You are in Final year at University? Has your spelling skill ever come up during your time in college?)
    Thanks for the info guys, astral yes I know, I have diagnosed dyslexia and adhd which means I tend to just type and don't bother proof reading, one of the reasons i've sought help because I've a three hour exam next week and am very anxious about having to write and sit in a room for three hours.

Anyway yes im looking at violence on all levels, was thinking earlier regarding 'cultivation theory' that the news has alot to answer for as it pumps out hysteria daily in a 24hr cycle just to win ratings creating a fearful society that tends to think that we live in an extremely violent world when in actual fact its less violent.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast