Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blighted Nation - RTE Radio 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Blighted Nation - RTE Radio 1

There has been a recent flurry of academic and popular work on the Great Famine, the highlight of which has undoubtedly been the publication of the monumental Atlas of the Great Irish Famine.

Now Radio 1 has produced a four-part series presented by Myles Dungan, which is also available as podcasts. I've listened to the first two programs, and they are well worth a listen. The second, on whether Britain should be held responsible, is particularly interesting.

The famine was surely the most significant event in modern Irish history and continues to impact on the country today. I suspect that discussion was curtailed to an extent as a result of the tensions of the northern troubles. The recent increased interest in the period is to be welcomed.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/blightednation/

http://greatirishfamine.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great find well done BTR.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    There has been a recent flurry of academic and popular work on the Great Famine, the highlight of which has undoubtedly been the publication of the monumental Atlas of the Great Irish Famine.

Now Radio 1 has produced a four-part series presented by Myles Dungan, which is also available as podcasts. I've listened to the first two programs, and they are well worth a listen. The second, on whether Britain should be held responsible, is particularly interesting.

The famine was surely the most significant event in modern Irish history and continues to impact on the country today. I suspect that discussion was curtailed to an extent as a result of the tensions of the northern troubles. The recent increased interest in the period is to be welcomed.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/blightednation/

http://greatirishfamine.ie/
    " Laura Trevelyan, the great great granddaughter of the much vilified Sir Charles Trevelyan puts forward her view that he was a more humane figure than has been portrayed " Says it all If Dungan has anything to do with it, it'll be all the fault of the Irish while the benign charitable British did their best to help blah, blah, blah. But then it is RTE, what else would you expect
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    " Laura Trevelyan, the great great granddaughter of the much vilified Sir Charles Trevelyan puts forward her view that he was a more humane figure than has been portrayed " Says it all If Dungan has anything to do with it, it'll be all the fault of the Irish while the benign charitable British did their best to help blah, blah, blah. But then it is RTE, what else would you expect
    Heard that episode. Dungan did not intervene too much one way or another. Tim Pat Coogan hung the Brits out to dry, I thought he came out the clear winner in the debate and had an excellent counter point for any of those made by the "Brits were doing their best" brigade. The whole series is very good and well worth a listen.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The real villain was Gladstone but after he supported home rule in the 1880s we went very quiet about him.
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    Heard that episode. Dungan did not intervene too much one way or another. Tim Pat Coogan hung the Brits out to dry, I thought he came out the clear winner in the debate and had an excellent counter point for any of those made by the "Brits were doing their best" brigade. The whole series is very good and well worth a listen.
    I didn't find Coogan impressive. He couldn't show how the famine was genocide, and was unable to deal with the point about the soup kitchens.

I think Dungan is being perfectly even-handed in his handling of the topic, and he has featured the famine previously on the History Show, so it's obviously something that interests him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I read the thread title and actually assumed this was going to be about a current affairs program. I guess things could be worse.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a fantastic production- fair dues to RTE. It gives a far broader and indepth view of the whole period and brings home the individual hardships and suffering vividly. My only problem with it is I find it too painful at times to listen to it.

I have one fervent hope. I hope that people of this island can accept the famine for what it was- an immense human tragedy - and that regardless of religious or political affiliations we can all view it without recrimination as a shared legacy of suffering of human beings. Maybe we can make our contribution to this approach on Pie.
    Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was there any mention of the hundreds of tons of food that was exported while millions were starving?
    SMASH THE NAMA REPUBLIC GET OUT AND PROTEST

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inchicore_republican View Post
    Was there any mention of the hundreds of tons of food that was exported while millions were starving?
    There was indeed.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast