Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: McIlroys Dilemma - Do Sport and Politics mix?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default McIlroys Dilemma - Do Sport and Politics mix?

McIlroy admits he may not play at Olympics - RTÉ Sport

never mix sport religion and politics...they say, thankfully over the years sport has managed to stay out of it all....

Rio 2016 is 42 months away and McIlroy, a sure bet for a medal, seems to have decided to stay away......too many choices to make, to many people to hurt/offend....

Personally, I feel for him and this impossible quandry, but I ask (the great and good on here) is there a way out for McIlroy? can his participation in the games be guaranteed with a compromise or will the hardlines win out?

Dylan2010

does it matter? Golf is barely a sport, it is certainly not a "real" Olympic sport

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He should represent according to his own personal choices and wishes and not look back. Haters gonna hate and all.

Politics.ie Member The System Works's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I feel sorry for somebody placed in this situation. What a messed up world, that he could be the subject of such vitriol for his decision. He should not deny himself a fantastic opportunity because of the ramblings of people far less talented than he is.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not making a decision is also a decision. He's a sportsman who is denying himself the opportunity of competing for sports highest accolade. That makes no sense. He should declare for whatever country he feels suits him best and let the whingers go get stuffed.

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

He should worry about getting himself a bit of a personality first.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

McIlroy should declare RoI. If he comes last, loads of drunken ejjets will sing two lines of one sad song for twenty minutes.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

/mod/ there's a large thread on this here: http://www.politics.ie/forum/sport/1...f-team-gb.html /mod/
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He can't win. I would hope he declares for whoever he likes and we all just accept his choice and let him crack on with it.

We have a thousand other reasons to fight about so we should all give Rory a break