Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Are people using suicide to clear debt? Can suicide be prevented?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are people using suicide to clear debt? Can suicide be prevented?

Are people using suicide to clear their families of debt?

525 people were officially recorded as committing suicide last year and about another 70 deaths were indeterminate.

Many other people die in accidental circumstances that many people suspect are suicides. A number of people known to me with large property and business generated debt have committed suicide and have been suspected of committing suicide.

In times of tragedy many people have been supposed to have been driven to suicide, but is there a more rational explanation that people saw suicide as an option to clear their property debts and provide for their family?

Can suicide prevention programs really prevent someone form committing suicide, or is such expenditure simply a gesture to enable Government to be seen to be doing something about suicide?

Many life insurance policies pay out even if the insured died of suicide after an initial 2 year exclusion period, provided full disclosure was made in relation to mental health issues at the time the proposals was being filled out.

Could lives be saved by ending the practice of insurance companies paying out on suicides?

About 84 percent of recorded suicides are by males and 80% of suicides involve mental health issues.

55% of suicides are by hanging. While initiatives such as restricting access to paracetamol are practical how do you prevent people from killing themselves?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post

525 people were officially recorded as committing suicide last year and about another 70 deaths were indeterminate.

Many other people die in accidental circumstances that many people suspect are suicides. A number of people known to me with large property and business generated debt have committed suicide and have been suspected of committing suicide.

In times of tragedy many people have been supposed to have been driven to suicide, but is there a more rational explanation that people saw suicide as an option to clear their property debts and provide for their family?

Can suicide prevention programs really prevent someone form committing suicide, or is such expenditure simply a gesture to enable Government to be seen to be doing something about suicide?

Many life insurance policies pay out even if the insured died of suicide after an initial 2 year exclusion period, provided full disclosure was made in relation to mental health issues at the time the proposals was being filled out.

Could lives be saved by ending the practice of insurance companies paying out on suicides?

About 84 percent of recorded suicides are by males and 80% of suicides involve mental health issues.

55% of suicides are by hanging. While initiatives such as restricting access to paracetamol are practical how do you prevent people from killing themselves?
    This post sums you up i think , you begrudge even the dead .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

somebody has watched Its a Beautiful Life over the Christmas hols methinks!

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you cant unless you give people something worth living for. An ''open prison'' sentence of decades of debt with severely reduced lifestyle for your kids etc while bankers,politicians and those especially responsible get off scot free is a good motivation for some. Most of us are worth more dead than alive as life insurance policies already exist on negative equity mortgages which will eventually pay them off if we don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tool.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    Tool.
    Aye, and far from the sharpest one in the box.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Aye, and far from the sharpest one in the box.
    Negative equity mortgages have created a huge incentive for suicide which many people are embracing. It is virtually impossible to prevent suicides retaled to mental health issues.

Politics.ie Member Happytolearn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fionnmccool View Post
    you cant unless you give people something worth living for. An ''open prison'' sentence of decades of debt with severely reduced lifestyle for your kids etc while bankers,politicians and those especially responsible get off scot free is a good motivation for some. Most of us are worth more dead than alive as life insurance policies already exist on negative equity mortgages which will eventually pay them off if we don't.

Realising a few months back that I was worth way more dead to my bank than alive sent a real chill up my spine. I'm not saying they'd attempt a hit - but knowing that they'd benefit from my death certainly put things into perspective for me.
    I'm a better man now than I was that day

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Negative equity mortgages have created a huge incentive for suicide which many people are embracing. It is virtually impossible to prevent suicides retaled to mental health issues.
    The single largest group affected are 15-24 year old males; not a lot of mortgages there. Now stop using personal tragedy to make some kind of bizarre political point.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Negative equity mortgages have created a huge incentive for suicide which many people are embracing.

Sounds like a marketing line conjured up by Chris Morris.

Bizarre.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast