Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Closing Courts...does it make sense...

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Closing Courts...does it make sense...

...I think most counties have received news of impending closures of Courts and the allocation of those hearings to larger towns. Does this actually make sense?

If the reasoning is finance, it surely costs a lot more to send Gardai from all over the county to Courts that may be in excess of a 100 mile round trip for some of them, presumably they will have travel and subsistence expenses. It will also surely cost clients a lot more, say a woman who can't drive and who wants to make an application under Domestic Violence legislation will now have to get taxi fares together, and probably for repeated visits, as there is little or no public transport in such areas. If the reasoning is to free up the buildings themselves to sell, or the costs of maintenance, again, there is no reason why Courts cannot simply be moved into public halls and community centres but remain within the communities. There is also the whole symbolism of access to the Courts and punishment being meted out in the communities in which the wrong took place, but I guess that's another argument. I'm just not sure how, on the costings, it makes any sense.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NewGoldDream View Post
    ...I think most counties have received news of impending closures of Courts and the allocation of those hearings to larger towns. Does this actually make sense?

If the reasoning is finance, it surely costs a lot more to send Gardai from all over the county to Courts that may be in excess of a 100 mile round trip for some of them, presumably they will have travel and subsistence expenses. It will also surely cost clients a lot more, say a woman who can't drive and who wants to make an application under Domestic Violence legislation will now have to get taxi fares together, and probably for repeated visits, as there is little or no public transport in such areas. If the reasoning is to free up the buildings themselves to sell, or the costs of maintenance, again, there is no reason why Courts cannot simply be moved into public halls and community centres but remain within the communities. There is also the whole symbolism of access to the Courts and punishment being meted out in the communities in which the wrong took place, but I guess that's another argument. I'm just not sure how, on the costings, it makes any sense.

Yes it makes a lot of sense. More business can be done in a day in a larger centre!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    Yes it makes a lot of sense. More business can be done in a day in a larger centre!
    On the contrary, the amalgamation of Court hearings may mean longer Court lists, more waiting around for those involved and a larger number of cases not being reached and deferred to later sittings. The Judges won't be working through the nights!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On the contrary, the amalgamation of Court hearings may mean longer Court lists, more waiting around for those involved and a larger number of cases not being reached and deferred to later sittings. The Judges won't be working through the nights!
    They have 24 hour courts in other juristicions....

If the present judges won't do it we should find some who will....whats wrong with a L plate judge starting out in such a regime..let them do a few graveyard shifts to see what their made of.....
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Franzoni View Post
    They have 24 hour courts in other juristicions....

If the present judges won't do it we should find some who will....whats wrong with a L plate judge starting out in such a regime..let them do a few graveyard shifts to see what their made of.....
    By that logic we could close every Court in the country, have Judges working around the clock in Dublin, centralise the whole thing, and to hell with the people who have to look to the Courts for a remedy, they can wait around morning noon and through the night and for days on end. If that led to a significant reduction in costs, such as the centralisation of health services, one could say fine, so be it. But again I am just not sure where the saving is to be made, any any saving in terms of heating such buildings or paying someone to hold the keys will be dwarfed by the costs to pay Solicitors (private, or the taxpayer for free legal aid which covers travel and subsistence), Gardai (the taxpayer), witnesses etc. to travel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By that logic we could close every Court in the country, have Judges working around the clock in Dublin, centralise the whole thing, and to hell with the people who have to look to the Courts for a remedy, they can wait around morning noon and through the night and for days on end. If that led to a significant reduction in costs, such as the centralisation of health services, one could say fine, so be it. But again I am just not sure where the saving is to be made, any any saving in terms of heating such buildings or paying someone to hold the keys will be dwarfed by the costs to pay Solicitors (private, or the taxpayer for free legal aid which covers travel and subsistence), Gardai (the taxpayer), witnesses etc. to travel.
    I wouldn't go that far as your premise but for the minor stuff as i said it should be looked at....the stuff the clogs up the courts on a day to day basis...

Personally if i had a case to answer about something minor i wouldn't mind if i was told it was happening at 4am or so if i knew i was going to get in and over and the thing done and dusted......

I don't see why the whole circus regarding lawyers and judges should be a sacred cow especially on costs.......everyone else is being told to tighten the belt.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see why the whole circus regarding lawyers and judges should be a sacred cow especially on costs.......everyone else is being told to tighten the belt.....
    Again though, think of the woman who lives in some town losing its Court, and who now has to travel 60 miles. Suppose she wants to make an application for a safety order. She will now be obliged to travel 120 miles each time, and they can take 2 or 3 visits to the Court. She will also now have to pay her Solicitor to travel too, granted that might not be as much as her taxi bill but they are not Mother Theresas. And the Gardai will also have to travel that distance now, again that won't be free. As far as I can see there is no belt tightening at all, if anything it may place a substantaial burden on the States coffers and indeed the vulnerable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Again though, think of the woman who lives in some town losing its Court, and who now has to travel 60 miles. Suppose she wants to make an application for a safety order. She will now be obliged to travel 120 miles each time, and they can take 2 or 3 visits to the Court. She will also now have to pay her Solicitor to travel too, granted that might not be as much as her taxi bill but they are not Mother Theresas. And the Gardai will also have to travel that distance now, again that won't be free. As far as I can see there is no belt tightening at all, if anything it may place a substantaial burden on the States coffers and indeed the vulnerable.
    How often do the courts open in rural towns..?....i seem to remember the courts close for a hefty period during the summer or at least they used to...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It makes total sense, there is no need to have a courthouse in every village in the land just as there is no need to have a Garda Station in every village. If NewGoldDream was or is a politician then he would be a parish pumper.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How often do the courts open in rural towns..?....
    Some of the Courts that are rumoured to be for the chop in the sw open at least once a month, maybe twice.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    It makes total sense, there is no need to have a courthouse in every village in the land just as there is no need to have a Garda Station in every village. If NewGoldDream was or is a politician then he would be a parish pumper.
    To observe that maintaining the status quo would be better for the vulnerable and cheaper all round for every taxpayer in the country is parish pump mentality? Hmmmm.

You are incorrect about having to have a Courthouse. As I said above, if they want to free up the buildings they could stage them in nearby hotels, golf clubhouses, community centres, parish halls etc. Members of the public should be able to access justice, particularly where there are no savings evident from the proposals (which is of course the reason that hospitals or schools or other services must be rationalised)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast