Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: linking articles might cost

Dylan2010

Default linking articles might cost

Its not April 1 I think, but hadnt heard of this one before. Reminds me of that grubby little outfit IMRO demanading money with menace from anyone who dares listen to the radio in public. I humbly apologise to the internet gods for linking below. On the upside another reason why the Irish media should die at the soonest

McGarr Solicitors – Dublin Solicitors Ireland | 2012: The year Irish newspapers tried to destroy the web - McGarr Solicitors - Dublin Solicitors Ireland

They were quite clear in their demands. They told Women’s Aid “a licence is required to link directly to an online article even without uploading any of the content directly onto your own website.”

Recap: The Newspapers’ agent demanded an annual payment from a women’s domestic violence charity because they said they owned copyright in a link to the newspapers’ public website.

This isn’t the case of a collection agent going rogue.

The National Newspapers of Ireland is the representative body for Irish Newspaper Publishers. The 15 member titles in the NNI are
    •Irish Independent
    Irish Examiner
    The Irish Times
    Irish Daily Star
    Evening Herald
    The Sunday Independent
    Sunday World
    The Sunday Business Post
    Irish Mail on Sunday
    Irish Farmers Journal
    Irish Daily Mail
    Irish Daily Mirror
    Irish Sun
    Irish Sunday Mirror
    The Sunday Times
    Irish Sun Sunday

In their submission to the Copyright Review Committee in July 2012 those 15 newspapers asserted baldly

“It is the view of NNI that a link to copyright material does constitute infringement of copyright”. (Section 7 National Newspapers of Ireland Further Submission to the Copyright Review Committee)

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Copyright of Newspaper articles". </Mod>
    Last edited by stringjack; 4th January 2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Merged thread.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well it might just improve standard of posting on the site.

I

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I saw this comedy on Twitter yesterday, I figured a thread would pop up,

What a joke, things must be even worse than we think with the ol cash flows,

I don't know if the papers are dead men walkin, it looks like it, but ye never know what'll happen,

I hope all the Irish ones die, glad to see them go,

Is this Simon McGarr that's highlighting this story?

He's the guy who shedded Sean Sherlock in the SOPA debate last year, right?

Ribster likes the cut of his jib

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Complete scum! Glad to see newspapers dying off.

Bloody lobby groups turning the world into a kip.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Oh that doesn't really seem to stack up at all. A link to content external to a site is at worst a free advertisement for that external site. It's the digital equivalent of charging me for telling you that men's health in easons has an article on health food. You want me to say that. You want me to push business your way.

A: I can't see how a link could possibly be viewed as copyright.
    B: I can't see how anyone could successfully argue for damages over me telling someone to go to someone elses website.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tee hee

Google makes squillions every year by channeling eyeballs towards websites,

Yet, the twits in the Irish papers want to charge people for linking to their advert stocked websites,

What a bunch of braindead clowns,

What's next, should I be expecting a bill from Lidl for praising their yummy products on p.ie,

Oh no, sorry, that won't happen,

Coz Lidl know how to run a business

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh oh paperboys,

When Sync & Ribeye agree, it's game over

Shop in Lidl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    I saw this comedy on Twitter yesterday, I figured a thread would pop up,

What a joke, things must be even worse than we think with the ol cash flows,

I don't know if the papers are dead men walkin, it looks like it, but ye never know what'll happen,

I hope all the Irish ones die, glad to see them go,

Is this Simon McGarr that's highlighting this story?

He's the guy who shedded Sean Sherlock in the SOPA debate last year, right?

Ribster likes the cut of his jib
    You can read David Adams in today's Times bemoaning the personal abuse and gutter "journalism" floating around on Twitter whilst praising Piers Morgan's grammar Nazism.
    He goes on to reassure (himself) that once mainstream media uphold their standards and decency they'll survive.

I wonder, have I just breached copyright by merely referring ti that article?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe View Post
    You can read David Adams in today's Times bemoaning the personal abuse and gutter "journalism" floating around on Twitter whilst praising Piers Morgan's grammar Nazism.
    He goes on to reassure (himself) that once mainstream media uphold their standards and decency they'll survive.

I wonder, have I just breached copyright by merely referring ti that article?
    Where's the link Wolfy, ye cheapskate

Twitter is great as a news source,

Eg, in relation to the Savile investigation, 2 men were arrested yesterday, and another man who was arrested before Xmas is now on suicide watch at The Priory,

The media told me only that Jim Davidson was one of the men arrested,

It was only Twitter that told me the name of the other person arrested and who was in The Priory,

Now, I don't know if these men are guilty of anything, but I don't like being kept in the dark by the media,

Long live the Tweet Tweets

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast