Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Tale of grubby old Ireland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A Tale of grubby old Ireland.

Tragic story of a couple who bought their dream retreat on Tory Island (off Donegal) in the early 80's having spent many years visiting the place.
    Neville Presho quit his career in the 70's to make a film on Tory Island.
    He loved the people, the lifestyle, and the simplicity of the island.
    They bought, (I assume) on a romantic whim, rather than for an investment of to flip (hate that term).
    Then in 1993, whilst working in New Zealand they received a phone call that someone had offered a pitiful 1000 punts to buy their home.
    They rightly refused, then roughly a month later their home was burnt down.
    Then a few months later, they received a letter from Donegal Council telling them their house was in a bad state and asked what were they going to do with it. (Is this standard procedure?)
    Then 3 months after the Donegal Council letter, the house was razed to the ground. It's not mentioned by whom.
    The stress of this ordeal is blamed for the poor man having a nervous breakdown, and also was a factor in the break-up of his marriage.
    BBC News - The tale of the 'vanishing house' on Tory Island
    Timeline:
    House bought in 1982.
    Offer refused in 1993.
    Burnt down a month later.
    Donegal Council send strange letter April 1994.
    House disappears between April and July 1994.

What a grubby, little country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems his house was blocking the sea-view ot the Islands richest man.
    Dramatic story of Tory island house disappearance is published - Local - Donegal Democrat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Truth.ie View Post
    Tragic story of a couple who bought their dream retreat on Tory Island (off Donegal) in the early 80's having spent many years visiting the place.
    Neville Presho quit his career in the 70's to make a film on Tory Island.
    He loved the people, the lifestyle, and the simplicity of the island.
    They bought, (I assume) on a romantic whim, rather than for an investment of to flip (hate that term).
    Then in 1993, whilst working in New Zealand they received a phone call that someone had offered a pitiful 1000 punts to buy their home.
    They rightly refused, then roughly a month later their home was burnt down.
    Then a few months later, they received a letter from Donegal Council telling them their house was in a bad state and asked what were they going to do with it. (Is this standard procedure?)
    Then 3 months after the Donegal Council letter, the house was razed to the ground. It's not mentioned by whom.
    The stress of this ordeal is blamed for the poor man having a nervous breakdown, and also was a factor in the break-up of his marriage.
    BBC News - The tale of the 'vanishing house' on Tory Island
    Timeline:
    House bought in 1982.
    Offer refused in 1993.
    Burnt down a month later.
    Donegal Council send strange letter April 1994.
    House disappears between April and July 1994.

What sort of a response are you looking for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Truth.ie View Post
    This story is so typical, innit?
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, the whole country deserves to be tarred with the one brush over this isolated incident. And nothing like this ever happens in any other part of the world. It's only in Ireland. Grubby grubby Ireland.. And don't get me started about the weather.. Oh, be jaysus....
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

I remember hearing about this maybe ten years ago.

Regarding the Council letter, I think Councils can initiate these proceedings under the Dereliction Act, iirc.
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    Yeah, the whole country deserves to be tarred with the one brush over this isolated incident. And nothing like this ever happens in any other part of the world. It's only in Ireland. Grubby grubby Ireland.. And don't get me started about the weather.. Oh, be jaysus....
    Leave him be in his little world of fear and 'the man'.
    I was ready to love the world, but no one understood me, so I learned to hate.
    - Mikhail Lermontov

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Edna O'Brien in her recent memoir describes an allegedly similar resentment on the part of some neighbours when she built a house in Donegal facing the sea....

I cannot just find the reference....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Come on - if my holiday house was burned down i'd be upset, but the insurance would pay the mortgage and get me some of the stuff back - i'd have to be some tool to let it ruin my life.
    “You must take into account that this talented film-maker underwent a personal tragedy and since the house was destroyed he cannot work anymore,” he said.
    In fact you'd have to say i'd probably have used the situation to retrospectively justify any feck up i had made of my life.

And then you'd call me a grubby man.

But Donegal does strange things to people... especially Gardai.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Another 'Ireland is the worst country in the world' thread?

Puh-leeze.

For starters, it's Wales where there was an organised campaign of burning down holiday homes.

The OP should also read up about Spain and how foreigners who buy homes are regularly fleeced out of their properties, frequently illegally built but with the active connivance of local authorities.

During the good times when new developments were shooting up along Spanish coastlines faster than bamboo, thousands of British and other European nationals invested in Spanish properties. Many were retirees who spent their nest eggs on apartments and villas hoping that they could spend their twilight years in a sunny bolt hole, the reward for a life time’s hard slog. Unbeknown to hordes of British investors, the homes they bought in good faith turned out to be illegally built by unscrupulous developers aided and abetted by corrupt local councils and lawyers. The problem was further compounded by poorly enforced planning legislation. Building permits were issued by councils illegally and when the scale of the problem was revealed, regional governments were quick to react.
    http://my.telegraph.co.uk/expat/anna...u-for-justice/
    Mark Murray.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast