Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Irish journalists the most conformist in Western Europe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are Irish journalists the most conformist in Western Europe?

This thread is started by me to ask those ex-pats who lived and worked in the likes of France, Germany, etc, if they have noticed a substantial difference in the quality of media, and range of opinions from commentators, as compared to here in good ol Ireland?

As for Ireland, from a personal view - it seems to me that our media in general tow the line on the likes of the current economic measures, and our relationship with the European Union, is overwhelmingly seen as positive.

Also, it is not so long ago that several of them closed ranks on former Taoiseach's Brian Cowen's 'tired and emotional' behaviour in Galway. Also, there is a distinct lack of discussion from commentators as to where Irish society is heading in the post-Celtic Tiger years.

I also find that a lot of the political correspondents on TV/Radio tend to parrott what was said in Leinster House by the politicians, instead of providing their actual thoughts on what was said.

Ultimately, it feels like the profession gives way to the 'small country syndrome', where it is very important to avoid potentially p1ssing off those in power.

As someone who is too unfamiliar with the papers and networks on the continent, do they simply care less about criticising powerful people and institutions?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They share a great deal of blame for the sh1t we find ourselves in. Especially INM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think one finds compliant media everywhere in the world. By and large, journalists are not rebellious types (despite the Hollywood image).

What characterizes Irish media in particular (and in comparison to the media I know best --the United States) is the laziness and the "ah shure it'll do" mentality that often prevails among media people here. That would be fine, if some of them weren't so overpaid for the size of the market.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't underestimate the introduction of Section 31 in the 1970s .it was a show of force from the state and finished any free spirit that may have been left in the country's newsrooms . The media from then on was a mouthpiece for the official line ,you only have to look to the resent past to see the damage under reporting and downright propaganda has done . throw in the O'Reilly factory at Independent newsgroup and you had a recipe for disaster.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sense 0f Wonder View Post
    I think one finds compliant media everywhere in the world. By and large, journalists are not rebellious types (despite the Hollywood image).

What characterizes Irish media in particular (and in comparison to the media I know best --the United States) is the laziness and the "ah shure it'll do" mentality that often prevails among media people here. That would be fine, if some of them weren't so overpaid for the size of the market.
    RTE controls the media, the print journalists keep a safe line, and are rewarded with appearances on RTE. I do not want rebellious journalists, I would appreciate if RTE ones did a bit more than repeat press releases, offering no analysis other than predicting likely responses from other politicians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The media in Ireland is tainted from the start becuse it has been used as a tool of social control.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont think they toe the politicians line.

But they are like a herd of sheep - not an original thought among the lot of them. They seek to outdo each other in whatever - usually negative and carping - sentiments they peddle.

For example on 3 different programmes alone on RTe today (plus one on Newstalk) I heard segments about cuts in child benefit - with the duly affected family of 6 produced in each case to demostrate how awful/savage/inhuman etc the cuts were.

I'm not arguing that this should not be referred to, but where was the journalist who would say - look we are bankrupt and have to cut universal benefits? There seems to be only one side to this debate among our scribblers, some of whom can do joined up writing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We're a conformist people. Why should our journalists be different?

In all fairness, the non-conformists (V Browne springs to mind) tend to be of the ranting rather than the incisive variety. The Irish Daily Mail does do some hard-hitting front-pagers but it all tends to be rather unfocused and hysterical.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can anyone here give a short analysis of the media in other countries, like I said?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin M View Post
    Can anyone here give a short analysis of the media in other countries, like I said?
    Journalists in national broadcasters of Nordic countries are intelligent, respectful and incisive in their reporting and analysis (IMO)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast