Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irish television and the UK digital platform

Default Irish television and the UK digital platform

With Ireland and NI switching simultaneously from analogue and digital, and a previous commitment to extend transmission coverage of terrestrial channels across the Six Counties, an opportunity was missed by failing to gain placing for Irish TV stations on the UK digital platform, partly making up for the failure of Tara TV. As a quid pro quo, BBC and ITV could have been encouraged to establish Irish services and thus secure free-to-air status in the Republic.
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I personally would welcome Irish channels on British TV and I've long advocated it.

I think the difficulty is most Irish channels show a lot of British and American TV and there would be some rights issues - they only have a licence to broadcast that content in Ireland and a lot of the shows are already broadcast on UK channels.

With lots of non-Irish content, if it was blanked out then the channels would be off-air half the time.

You'd need the Irish channels to get together and produce one channel speficially for the UK that they all contributed content to. You could also make programming specifically for UK Irish audiences.

I remember Tara TV was on cable for a while in Birmingham but it didn't last long - who was behind that?

It would cost money though, I wonder if you made it a subscription-only channel rather than on the usual free-to-air digital platform it might even turn a profit.

There's plenty of Irish ex-pats in Britain who might subscribe.
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FloatingVoterTralee View Post
    With Ireland and NI switching simultaneously from analogue and digital, and a previous commitment to extend transmission coverage of terrestrial channels across the Six Counties, an opportunity was missed by failing to gain placing for Irish TV stations on the UK digital platform, partly making up for the failure of Tara TV. As a quid pro quo, BBC and ITV could have been encouraged to establish Irish services and thus secure free-to-air status in the Republic.
    Living on the border I get both the Irish and the UK channels.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    I wonder if anywhere in Britain is close enough to receive Irish channels? Surely maybe some parts of Britain are close enough to Ireland to pick them up?
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    I wonder if anywhere in Britain is close enough to receive Irish channels? Surely maybe some parts of Britain are close enough to Ireland to pick them up?
    Armagh?
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    The 6 counties can mostly pick up Irish telly.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    its not about you

@op
    there are licencing issues and royalty issues
    but with a bit of enginuiety (sic) our brothers and sisters can get saorsat

did you really expect the greens and then labour to do the right thing and follow through on promises and commitments
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neiphin View Post
    its not about you

@op
    there are licencing issues and royalty issues
    but with a bit of enginuiety (sic) our brothers and sisters can get saorsat

did you really expect the greens and then labour to do the right thing and follow through on promises and commitments
    Oh but it is I paid my licence fee.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I personally would welcome British channels on Irish TV and I've long advocated it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With Saorview I get about 10 channels. But with Saorview here on the border I get about 70 channels including the UK channels. They are freely received in the airwaves.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast