Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bliain na Gaeilge - an exercise in official delusion?

Default Bliain na Gaeilge - an exercise in official delusion?

Personally, I've always been sympathetic to the Irish language to the extent of having an interest in acquiring a degree of fluency, occasionally contributing to the Gaeilge forum, and defending TG4 against accusations of being a white elephant. Yet, I cannot help but feel that official campaigns such as Bliain na Gaeilge do little to promote the language, being rather dutiful exercises preaching to the converted, when the majority of linguistic revivals (Welsh, Maori and Hebrew) come about to popular groundswells of cultural opinion. Yes, businesses play a pro-active role in developing bilingualism, but unless individuals decide to take an interest themselves, such official initiatives will founder on the bedrock of popular indifference.
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FloatingVoterTralee View Post
    Personally, I've always been sympathetic to the Irish language to the extent of having an interest in acquiring a degree of fluency, occasionally contributing to the Gaeilge forum, and defending TG4 against accusations of being a white elephant. Yet, I cannot help but feel that official campaigns such as Bliain na Gaeilge do little to promote the language, being rather dutiful exercises preaching to the converted, when the majority of linguistic revivals (Welsh, Maori and Hebrew) come about to popular groundswells of cultural opinion. Yes, businesses play a pro-active role in developing bilingualism, but unless individuals decide to take an interest themselves, such official initiatives will founder on the bedrock of popular indifference.
    I think I'm with you on this. Very keen on the language, but very wary of official (and semi official) attempts to promote the language. They are usually impractical wooden attempts. I went to a Gaeilge Tweetup organised by an official body, and it was nothing like any other tweetup I've seen. More like a press conference, which sadly, didn't surprise me.

Here's hoping for better, but fearing for the worst.

D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One could argue that Irish might be stronger if we never got independence - that way, learning Irish could be a way of defying authority; as it is, ignoring Irish is a way of defying authority

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TG4 = eilifint bhán

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetBertie View Post
    TG4 = eilifint bhán
    Ever try watching TG4, I doubt it, if you did you would find there are some fantastic documentaries on it.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seem fair. I do think every effort should be made to make Irish learning accessible for any Irish person who wants it, and there should be enough publicity of the services offered so everyone knows it is there, but ultimately it is up to individuals. I've seen enough antagonism against the Irish language on the forum to know that no amount of advertising will persuade some people to learn Irish and whilst I think that's a bit sad, it has to be up to them.

I also think any use of taxpayers money to persuade people to learn Irish (as opposed to making Irish language instruction available to all who want it) is counter-productive, because often people who dislike the language object to taxpayers money being used to promote it. So such campaigns aren't merely ineffective, but actually make things worse by entrenching prejudices against the language.

Ultimately Irish will live or die on the basis on Irish people and their decisions about the language.

I am hopeless at languages myself so I do sympathise with people who struggle to learn Irish, because I know from experience how difficult I found other languages at school.

Some people just don't have an "ear" for languages and I do think that people should encourage them, and not judge them if they fail and decide it's not for them. It's not their fault they weren't brought up Irish-speaking, and some people just find it more difficult that others.

Smugness from people who were lucky enough to learn Irish from Irish-speaking parents, or who perhaps found Irish easy at school, which I have also seen on this forum, probably does more to put people off than anything else too. If you were brought up speaking Irish you were lucky - it's not an achievement on your part.

I can't say how I'd feel if I was Irish but I suspect I'd try to learn it - but I also suspect I'd be one of the ones who hated it at school and was put off, however much I might have wanted to learn it.
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I cannot help but feel that official campaigns such as Bliain na Gaeilge do little to promote the language, being rather dutiful exercises preaching to the converted
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    Ever try watching TG4, I doubt it, if you did you would find there are some fantastic documentaries on it.
    There certainly are. Furthermore, the vast majority of them are subtitled, so lazy buggers like me who have absolutely no wish to improve their Irish can watch and enjoy them. I just wish that TG4 would subtitle their Rabo rugby games; although having Jerry Flannery delivering his "análís" as bearla is great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetBertie View Post
    TG4 = eilifint bhán
    Ah but did you learn that Irish from TG4?!
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People tend to react badly to being bullied into doing things. I think there are a lot of simple little things that could be done to elevate the Irish language but it's management seems to be in the hands of an extremist fringe.
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast