Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The NZ forecaster predicting the weather

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The NZ forecaster predicting the weather

I've heard this guy on the Matt Cooper show a couple of times. He is generally wheeled out at this time of the year to entertain us all on his prognostications for the year ahead. Oddly, he is never invited back on when he is, usually, proven totally wrong in his forecasts.

Weather guru Ken Ring says we're in for a summer scorcher - Weather - Independent.ie

The only thing that he has going for him is that his forecasts are for exact dates. Looking at the list he is very specific,which is unlike the old "John Joes" that RTE usually go to up in the hills of Donegal.
    I remember one year when Cooper pressed him and he specified a week in July as being exceptionally sunny. It was the week of the Oxigen festival at Punchestown which was a complete washout. In addition, there was a major incident in Dublin Bay involving youngsters sailing which necessitated a major emergency operation, and just to complete the nationwide misfire, there was the major drugs haul from a boat that capsized off Cork. No doubt tonight on RTE this will be reported as if its gospel. The story would be better if they analysed what he had forecast for us last year

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All long-range weather forecasts, particularly for this corner of the world, are bunkum.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have a look at the last four years and book the Algarve quickly.
    #3amigos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's January 2nd , the second day of the longest part of the year without a public holiday. We need something to look forward to, even bunkum.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Weather forecast for tonight: dark.
    George Carlin

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    I've heard this guy on the Matt Cooper show a couple of times. He is generally wheeled out at this time of the year to entertain us all on his prognostications for the year ahead. Oddly, he is never invited back on when he is, usually, proven totally wrong in his forecasts.

Weather guru Ken Ring says we're in for a summer scorcher - Weather - Independent.ie

The only thing that he has going for him is that his forecasts are for exact dates. Looking at the list he is very specific,which is unlike the old "John Joes" that RTE usually go to up in the hills of Donegal.
    I remember one year when Cooper pressed him and he specified a week in July as being exceptionally sunny. It was the week of the Oxigen festival at Punchestown which was a complete washout. In addition, there was a major incident in Dublin Bay involving youngsters sailing which necessitated a major emergency operation, and just to complete the nationwide misfire, there was the major drugs haul from a boat that capsized off Cork. No doubt tonight on RTE this will be reported as if its gospel. The story would be better if they analysed what he had forecast for us last year
    We used to have the total charlatan Piers Corbyn, using a method no one had seen, and a success rate of 50%, wheeled out annually by the Daily Mail to tell us we were all going to be de-vast-at-ed by a massive Snowmageddon.

And then they called climate scientists "alarmists"!
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post

Was thinking over the Christmas holidays where that Donegal Postman was with all his predictions over Christmas. Severe Cold snap my a5se.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lies lies, all lies. These long range weather forecaster are charlatans.

There are so many complex variables that make up our weather. There's no way they could predict 6 months ahead.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That guy said 2 years ago that summer 2011 would be the hottest since 1976. We all know how that worked out. I don't know why the media here give him so much attention. I guess he has to be right some year though we do get about 2 decent summers per decade.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast