Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What if JFK wasn't assassinated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What if JFK wasn't assassinated?

A 'what if' history scenario.

22/11/1963 never happened. JFK wasn't killed and made it out of Dallas alive and well. Maybe even won a second term. How may history have been different?

-Maybe the US wouldn't have got so involved in Vietnam. Under Kennedy's presidency, the US only had 20,000 troops in Vietnam and some advisors and were about to pull out.

-Would JFK's affairs have been revealed and seen him impeached and been seen after his presidency as the 'disgraced former president'? JFK's assassination at such a young age and before his affairs were revealed preserved him in time as the young and handsome lost leader.

-How would have civil rights panned out? LBJ pushed this right through. Whether it was his own drive or congress sympathy for the slain Kennedy who tried and failed to introduce civil rights bills is another question.

-How would US-USSR relations have developed?

-Would the economic relationship between the US and Ireland advanced earlier? JFK had set up an Irish-US economic council after his June 1963 visit which pretty died down after his assassination. He had some minor interest in the Northern Irish conflict and the issue of a United Ireland. Maybe he would have advanced peace in the North by 30 years being an Irish-American US president? As for the national question? Probably debatable as he was sympathetic to the British and wouldn't have wanted to upset them and US-UK relations by strongly advocating a United Ireland.

Many more what if scenarios. There's no doubt that when Lee Harvey Oswald from the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository on that fateful day shot and killed Kennedy he altered history.

I ask that this be a 'what if JFK wasn't assassinated' thread and not about whether there was a conspiracy or not.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He would have destroyed Goldwater in 1964 even if his serial womanising had been publicly revealed. At the time Goldwater was seen as a far right extremist even though Reagan stole a lot of his policies in 1980.
    "War is never economically beneficial except for those in position to profit from war expenditures."-Ron Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A nation that keeps one eye on the past is wise. A nation that keeps two eyes on the past is blind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by True Republican View Post
    He would have destroyed Goldwater in 1964 even if his serial womanising had been publicly revealed. At the time Goldwater was seen as a far right extremist even though Reagan stole a lot of his policies in 1980.
    Maybe but adultery in those days was frowned upon highly. Even more so if it came out that it was the US president, world leader, that was involved in adultery. Even if his affairs weren't revealed before the 1964 election, I'd say Kennedy would have won 60-40 or 55-45. More likely the latter. LBJ only won by the amount he did through the sympathy of Kennedy's assassination just a year previously.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

i shot kennedy
    i owe my allegiance only to the working class

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Shark View Post
    Agreed ,a great read and the what if outcome is.......interesting....
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lee Harvey Oswald would have sued his Army Sergents for misguiding him on his marksmanship training.
    There is something pigheaded about Wexford this season, something pigheaded and perverse and oddly beautiful. In certain lights they are starting to look heroic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    Agreed ,a great read and the what if outcome is.......interesting....
    Crying to be made into a movie that.
    A nation that keeps one eye on the past is wise. A nation that keeps two eyes on the past is blind.

Politics.ie Member Tin Foil Hat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Shark View Post
    I've enjoyed a lot of SK's books, but I hated that one. Hated it.

To be honest, it's rather pointless speculating what the world might be like if a particular event never took place. It is absolutely impossible to make even the wildest guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember watching an episode of the twilight zone where a time traveller saves Kennedy but it turns out it results in a nuclear war so the time traveller goes back and swaps places with Kennedy on the fateful day and sends him in to the future.
    As theories go it is more likely than some that this thread will no doubt attract soon
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast