Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Germany: Europes biggest debtor nation.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Germany: Europes biggest debtor nation.

Another piece from Die Spiegel -

www.spiegel.de/ Germany was biggest debt transgressor of 20th century

According to the German Economic Historian, Albrecht Ritschl -

during the 20th century, Germany was responsible for what were the biggest national bankruptcies in recent history. It is only thanks to the United States, which sacrificed vast amounts of money after both World War I and World War II, that Germany is financially stable today and holds the status of Europe's headmaster. That fact, unfortunately, often seems to be forgotten.

The whole interview really is dynamite and for those that are still minded to believe that the German economy is some sort of miracle based on past prudence and austerity they should read this and then keep very quiet indeed. Certainly, I shall have it bookmarked and refer to it whenever one of Dr Merkel's little friends pop up here to tell us how we should all be licking the very earth that she treads upon.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, then-Chancellor Helmut Kohl refused at the time to implement changes to the London Agreement on German External Debts of 1953. Under the terms of the agreement, in the event of a reunification, the issue of German reparations payments from World War II would be newly regulated. The only demand made was that a small remaining sum be paid, but we're talking about minimal sums here. With the exception of compensation paid out to forced laborers, Germany did not pay any reparations after 1990 -- and neither did it pay off the loans and occupation costs it pressed out of the countries it had occupied during World War II. Not to the Greeks, either.
    The German bankruptcies in the last century show that the sensible thing to do now would be to have a real reduction of the debt.
    Common sense really.....except in the crazy dreams of the EU, who are essentially the gunmen for Big Finance.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Germans seem to have forgotten how our state ( through the auspices of CJH!) helped their reunification.

"[Ireland] "supported us and we will never forget it"

Helmut Kohl

ireland.com / Charles J Haughey // 1925-2006
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One who goes borrowing, goes sorrowing....

Meanwhile the Irish print media tries to exort the the Irish PAYE taxpayer to get involved in another real estate mania....
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as Fish View Post
    Another piece from Die Spiegel -

www.spiegel.de/ Germany was biggest debt transgressor of 20th century

According to the German Economic Historian, Albrecht Ritschl -

during the 20th century, Germany was responsible for what were the biggest national bankruptcies in recent history. It is only thanks to the United States, which sacrificed vast amounts of money after both World War I and World War II, that Germany is financially stable today and holds the status of Europe's headmaster. That fact, unfortunately, often seems to be forgotten.

The whole interview really is dynamite and for those that are still minded to believe that the German economy is some sort of miracle based on past prudence and austerity they should read this and then keep very quiet indeed. Certainly, I shall have it bookmarked and refer to it whenever one of Dr Merkel's little friends pop up here to tell us how we should all be licking the very earth that she treads upon.
    Interesting but this is from June 2011.

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
    Zey are ze master race!
    Another year, another idiot.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by birthday View Post
    Quite, funny how this sort of material never makes it into the Irish media at the time.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by birthday View Post
    Regardless of the year... Europe's biggest debtor nation (with another €5trillion of hidden debt) has no business preaching to others about theirs.

Pot, kettle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as Fish View Post
    Quite, funny how this sort of material never makes it into the Irish media at the time.
    Its no surprise really. The Irish media are, by and large, fawning, servile toadies who are well-versed in scraping and bowing to empires and pouring derision on their own people. They'd never dare question their new EU overlords or, for that matter, portray anything that erodes Irish sovereignty in a negative light.
    Last edited by Goa Tse; 1st January 2013 at 09:37 PM.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I still like the Germans though.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast