Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrity calls for gun control dismissed as 'hypocrisy' - Violent movies to blame for gun violence?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Celebrity calls for gun control dismissed as 'hypocrisy' - Violent movies to blame for gun violence?

A group of Hollywood celebrities, musicians and artists have come together to support a call for gun control by the 'Demand a Plan' lobby effort and have produced a video calling for people to lobby their politicians on the issue. The video - 'Demand A Plan To End Gun Violence' was released on December 21st has attracted over 6 million views to date:

However, the appearance of a significant number of celebrities who have starred in violent movies and other television programmes with violent scenes have sparked a backlash against the video with those involved being accused of hypocrisy with opponents citing the role of violence in movies as a contributory factor to gun violence. This has led to the production of a video on December 25th titled 'Demand A Plan - Demand Celebrities Go ****************************** Themselves!' which has attracted almost 100,000 views to date and shows the celebrities engaged in gun violence in movies or other programmes:

**Strong Language and Graphic Violence**

Many studies have been conducted over many years on media violence and aggression and they have all come to the same conclusion: that viewing violence increases aggression (http://www.psychology.iastate.edu/fa...04/01ba.ap.pdf pdf page 4 'The Scientific Evidence').

Is it hypocritical of celebrities who star in violent movies and programmes to blame lax gun laws for violent shootings and call for more gun control and should a campaign also be initiated to decrease gun violence in the media (movies, TV series', etc.)?
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Guilt Rules.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the lowest common denominator is unable to seperate a fictional yarn from the real world...
    A nation that keeps one eye on the past is wise. A nation that keeps two eyes on the past is blind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Poor idiots,

Disgraceful video, however the rebuttal is beautiful,

I wish Jess Alba and Jen Aniston hadn't been in it, ruined for me now so they are,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Once again, P.iefolk pick an axe to grind with people who are trying to do a good thing.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket View Post
    Many studies have been conducted over many years on media violence and aggression and they have all come to the same conclusion: that viewing violence increases aggression
    Is that so? Hmm..never had much of an effect on me. I enjoy a night in front of the telly watching explosions,shootings,knifings etc, yet I have never hit another person in anger
    Oddly enough I just thought of an exchange between Homer Simpson and "Mel Gibson" with Homer asking, "How did the country lose its way, Mel? When did we stop rooting for the man with a flame-thrower or an acid-spraying gun of some kind?"
    Last edited by IvoShandor; 31st December 2012 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket View Post
    Is it hypocritical of celebrities who star in violent movies and programmes to blame lax gun laws for violent shootings and call for more gun control and should a campaign also be initiated to decrease gun violence in the media (movies, TV series', etc.)?
    Of course it is and of course there should be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    Poor idiots,

Disgraceful video, however the rebuttal is beautiful,

I wish Jess Alba and Jen Aniston hadn't been in it, ruined for me now so they are,
    Anything to be different Ribeye.

At least you're consistent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

America is weird.
    Fair and Balanced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post
    Of course it is and of course there should be.
    That is ridiculous. If a minority of people are too stupid to enjoy fiction vicariously without becoming deranged, why should the sentient and aware majority be disadvantaged?
    A nation that keeps one eye on the past is wise. A nation that keeps two eyes on the past is blind.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast