Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Irish vehicle registration numbers may cause havoc for visitors to UK

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New Irish vehicle registration numbers may cause havoc for visitors to UK

Hundreds of Dublin registered vehicles are going to cause havoc if traveling through the North of Ireland or Britain for years to come.
    Since 1979, cars operated by foreign embassies, consular staff, and various international organisations in the UK have been given number plates with a distinguishing format of three numbers, one letter, three numbers. The letter is D for diplomat bestows huge rights on drivers that in many cases buts them beyond the powers of the British Police officer.

Ireland’s unique Embassy number is 185 so no worries there; however the Canadian Embassy wont be happy for the next 6 months when any Dublin registered cars with registrations such as 131 D 159 / 131 D 407 etc. etc. will be setting off ‘number plate recognition systems’ identifying diplomats and ambassadors parked outside Irish Pubs throughout the UK; not so sure some terror head wouldn’t like the opportunity to take a pop shot at an unusually easy ‘diplomatic’ target?

The second half of this year will cause problems for Central African Republic (Embassy number 132) 2014 will affect the Check Republic (141) and Denmark (142), 2015 Finland (151) and France (152).

Do our shower of Sir Humphrey’s check before causing problems like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think they'll manage.

Also, we will revert to the old system in 2014. The 131 and 132 was nonsense to keep JHR happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is the point of this 131 and 132 craic? What is wrong with the current system?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    I think they'll manage.

Also, we will revert to the old system in 2014. The 131 and 132 was nonsense to keep JHR happy.
    What !!, this 3 digit system was brought in for only one year?? What a gombeen nation?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    What is the point of this 131 and 132 craic? What is wrong with the current system?
    The motor industry wanted two Xmases every year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    Some of our mentally deficient TDs decided that '13' was unlucky. I'm not joking.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Some of our mentally deficient TDs decided that '13' was unlucky. I'm not joking.
    I was under the same impression as 'FakeViking'; the SIMI want two new registrations per year, so I think we are facing a 141 / 142 for 2014 and a 151 / 152 for 2015 and so on.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought the MoF said on budget day it would apply into the future. Going forward so to speak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The fact that that Irish number plates will be marked IRL and be in a completely different colour and format seems to be escaping some posters.

Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is NO WAY the Brits will allow any 'false diplomatic' registered vehicle on any of their roads.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast