Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Smoking When Pregnant Harms Your Baby"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default "Smoking When Pregnant Harms Your Baby"

Given the current political climate surrounding Taoiseach Enda Kenny TD's announcement that our statute books are to be amended legislatively to permit the practice of at the very least, more than harmful procedures to some babies, I wonder at how this conflicts with other statutory measures currently in place aimed at reducing the harm to unborn babies by other practices.

To me this latest move by the Taoiseach suggests an institutional and cultural division emerging in contemporary Irish public life, where on the one hand we endeavour through statutory instrument to protect our unborn children, by forcing tobacco manufacturers to tell the truth about the effects their industry has on unborn health, while on the other, it seems we are seeking to undermine the life of some perfectly healthy children, solely based on the fact that their mother doesn't want them.

Observations?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2....2008.0255.pdf

Tobacco packaging warning messages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Think there's a big difference to be honest in the state ensuring knowledge about the effects of smoking compared to giving people, in very exceptional circumstances the option to abort a child when their own life is in danger. No?
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is interesting father is that despite the USA having a third of the population of India they have more than twice the abortions.

Abortions statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

As a priest based there how much do you think this is an illustration of the "lifestyle uber alles" approach as opposed to here?

Maybe the warning labels are simply immaterial to most yanks?
    A nation that keeps one eye on the past is wise. A nation that keeps two eyes on the past is blind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    Think there's a big difference to be honest in the state ensuring knowledge about the effects of smoking compared to giving people, in very exceptional circumstances the option to abort a child when their own life is in danger. No?
    Yes. But lets not let the facts obscure a perfectly promising rant and rave thread re abortion. Its just what the site needs afterall.
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    Yes. But lets not let the facts obscure a perfectly promising rant and rave thread re abortion. Its just what the site needs afterall.
    But this is P.ie. I thought rants weren't allowed??
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    But this is P.ie. I thought rants weren't allowed??
    Never mind rants. Can't you see we were short of abortion threads featuring all the same posters making all the same points with visits from all the same (or new) socks to back them up? All culminating in a collective nervous breakdown by a handful of posters before all moving on to the next trojan horse thread where the pattern repeats itself. I propose we compare mandatory wearing of seatbelts in cars as a legal requirement to protect life to this "Buy one get one free" new abortion law while keeping in mind the outcome of the smoking while pregnant discussion. Its a perfect example of why the site brings such enlightenment into all our lives.
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    Given the current political climate surrounding Taoiseach Enda Kenny TD's announcement that our statute books are to be amended legislatively to permit the practice of at the very least, more than harmful procedures to some babies, I wonder at how this conflicts with other statutory measures currently in place aimed at reducing the harm to unborn babies by other practices.

To me this latest move by the Taoiseach suggests an institutional and cultural division emerging in contemporary Irish public life, where on the one hand we endeavour through statutory instrument to protect our unborn children, by forcing tobacco manufacturers to tell the truth about the effects their industry has on unborn health, while on the other, it seems we are seeking to undermine the life of some perfectly healthy children, solely based on the fact that their mother doesn't want them.

Observations?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2....2008.0255.pdf

Tobacco packaging warning messages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Are you suggesting that some kind of health-warning re abortion should be placed on people's genitals (or some other appropriate point)?

It would seem to be one thing one might logically take from your post - in so far as one can logically take anything from what is obviously a Trojan Horse for yet another abortion thread.

I'd suggest the thread be zooed, but it would be too kind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    Are you suggesting that some kind of health-warning re abortion should be placed on people's genitals (or some other appropriate point)?

It would seem to be one thing one might logically take from your post - in so far as one can logically take anything from what is obviously a Trojan Horse for yet another abortion thread.

Ah now! It's almost coherent and even has links. Not that i looked obviously but they might even work.
    Give him a break. It takes a special kind of genius to keep coming up with this stuff day after day after day.
    You go and see how many random issues you can link abortion to, its not so easy.
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post

Please don't post any pictures illustrating your brilliant new idea. Please.
    Flash a-ah - King of the impossible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, can't get my head around the first sentence in the OP.

Oh look, Training Day is about to start on the Telly...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast