Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the British establishment interfiering in politics in NI?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why is the British establishment interfiering in politics in NI?

From my perspective the Good Friday agreement was all about allowing a natural unity to occur over time.

To level the playing field so that both camps can calm down and make friends and maybe , just maybe Unionists would stop being unionists and become anglo Irish and allow unity to take place.

Why then is the British establishment interfiering in the politics of NI by handing out Royalist awards year after year, stopping the Unionists from wanting to be Irish?

Queen to honour 71 from the North - National News - Independent.ie

Another 71 people awarded with this recent honours list.

I know that a lot of you will think I'm OTT and that this is just an award for a good job etc.

I'm 100% sure that it is but surely out of sensitivity to the politics of NI, the British establishment should keep it's distance and allow the communities there to develop along national lines in Ireland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eire1976 View Post
    From my perspective the Good Friday agreement was all about allowing a natural unity to occur over time.

To level the playing field so that both camps can calm down and make friends and maybe , just maybe Unionists would stop being unionists and become anglo Irish and allow unity to take place.

Why then is the British establishment interfiering in the politics of NI by handing out Royalist awards year after year, stopping the Unionists from wanting to be Irish?

I know that a lot of you will think I'm OTT and that this is just an award for a good job etc.

I'm 100% sure that it is but surely out of sensitivity to the politics of NI, the British establishment should keep it's distance and allow the communities there to develop along national lines in Ireland.

Even the most densest Republicans know the GFA was not about 'bringing natural unity'. SF have made sure natural unity will not occur within the next 40-50 years at least anyway. The GFA was about bringing peace and stability to Northern Ireland, ultimately copper fastening our position in the UK. This stance is vindicated with the big majority of people supporting NI's current status quo in the recent census by choosing British/ or Northern Irish.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you hugged a unionist today ?

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    Even the most densest Republicans know the GFA was not about 'bringing natural unity'. SF have made sure natural unity will not occur within the next 40-50 years at least anyway. The GFA was about bringing peace and stability to Northern Ireland, ultimately copper fastening our position in the UK. This stance is vindicated with the big majority of people supporting NI's current status quo in the recent census by choosing British/ or Northern Irish.
    Oh really? Do you unionists reckon unity between both communities would be better achieved by the carry on of éirígí and their ilk?

Get a grip ffs, your hatred of Sinn Féin is distorting your view of reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Protestant/Catholic=Irish View Post
    Oh really? Do you unionists reckon unity between both communities would be better achieved by the carry on of éirígí and their ilk?

Get a grip ffs, your hatred of Sinn Féin is distorting your view of reality.
    Who knows if they would? SF have traded Irish'Republicanism' with venomous/religious Nationalism, they care nothing about bringing together both tribes, they look after their own. There's nothing wrong with that, that's up to them..but they cannot spout off about an Ireland of equals etc' blah blah blah. Where is their detailed proposals on a New Ireland, everything i have read (given the go ahead by hq) published by them is nonsense, which very little people take much serious notice of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Relax there. Empire awards from an empire that doesn't exist keeps them happy. British footballer Joey Barton has copped on:
    Joseph Barton ‏@Joey7Barton

Just found out I'm not on Lizzie's New Years honours list. Speechless...
    You have to laugh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well probably has something to do with NI still part of the UK. Until that changes the British state will still hand out privileges and other titles of nobility to people from the north.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vivabrigada View Post
    Relax there. Empire awards from an empire that doesn't exist keeps them happy. British footballer Joey Barton has copped on:

You have to laugh!
    I think it's more telling that in recent years more and more Brits have started coming out to denounce this medieval "honours" system. Hopefully people in Blighty will start copping on to the sham this system really is.

And speaking of controversy......

Paralympic Heroes Hit Out At Honours List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    You really are clinging to that census result aren't you.

Why didn't a majority pick British?

Why do close to 50% of the population vote for nationalist parties?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    Well probably has something to do with NI still part of the UK. Until that changes the British state will still hand out privileges and other titles of nobility to people from the north.
    But don't you think it wrong that they do so?

Shouldn't the 6 counties be left alone by the British state, why are they pushing the fact that it's under British control and upsetting the nationalaists?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast