Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious concerns for policing in Cork city as only one Garda station to stay open at night from 2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Serious concerns for policing in Cork city as only one Garda station to stay open at night from 2013

Cork city is to be badly hit by reductions in Garda station hours announced by Alan Shatter during the budget. The city currently has five 24-hour Garda stations but will be left with only one open at night (9 pm-7 am); Anglesea street, if the proposed reductions in opening hours are implemented.

The Bridewell in the city centre, Mayfield and Gurranabraher on the northside and Togher on the southside are the Garda stations to be cut back to daytime opening only.

Willie Gleeson, President of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors has expressed serious concern:

"I am concerned we won’t be in a position to properly deal with issues and calls as we will only have one station open after 9pm."

"I am particularly concerned at the number of stations with reduced opening hours, three of those, Togher, Mayfield, and Gurranabraher, are very, very busy district headquarters. I would call on the minister and the Garda Commissioner, even at this late stage, to properly consult with staff associations and the community in those areas as to how they will be policed."

City left with one Garda station open for 24 hours | BreakingNews.ie

There has been a deafening silence from Cork city TDs (listed below) on the issue, even those in opposition. None have issued any public statements that I can find and I haven't seen or heard anything from them in the local media.

North-Central

Kathleen Lynch (Labour), Minister of State at the Department of Health.
    Darragh Murphy (Fine Gael).
    Billy Kelleher (Fianna Fail)
    Jonathan O'Brien (Sinn Fein)

South-Central

Simon Coveney (Fine Gael), Minister of Agriculture, Food & the Marine.
    Jerry Buttimer (Fine Gael).
    Ciaran Lynch (Labour).
    Michael Martin (Fianna Fail leader), Leader of the opposition.
    Michael McGrath (Fianna Fail).
    Last edited by Skyrocket; 29th December 2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This is such a stupid cut-back. If anything, stations should be closed/limited during the day and open at night when they are needed.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gardai on the street and in cars are more relevant than on open building. Cork isn't that big anyway in that everywhere is within 10 mins of "city" centre
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kathleen Lynch is too busy fighting da intorrnet to find time fighting crime....
    Last edited by Analyzer; 29th December 2012 at 10:57 PM.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is an extremely risky move. One that is bound to backfire !!!
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will all Garda stations be closed at the same time or will it be staggered? If the former then this is worryingly stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket View Post
    Cork city is to be badly hit by reductions in Garda station hours announced by Alan Shatter during the budget. The city currently has five 24-hour Garda stations but will be left with only one open at night (9 pm-7 am); Anglesea street, if the proposed reductions in opening hours are implemented.

The Bridewell in the city centre, Mayfield and Gurranabraher on the northside and Togher on the southside are the Garda stations to be cut back to daytime opening only.

Willie Gleeson, President of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors has expressed serious concern:

"I am concerned we won’t be in a position to properly deal with issues and calls as we will only have one station open after 9pm."

"I am particularly concerned at the number of stations with reduced opening hours, three of those, Togher, Mayfield, and Gurranabraher, are very, very busy district headquarters. I would call on the minister and the Garda Commissioner, even at this late stage, to properly consult with staff associations and the community in those areas as to how they will be policed."

City left with one Garda station open for 24 hours | BreakingNews.ie

There has been a deafening silence from Cork city TDs (listed below) on the issue, even those in opposition. None have issued any public statements that I can find and I haven't seen or heard anything from them in the local media.

North-Central

Kathleen Lynch (Labour), Minister of State at the Department of Health.
    Darragh Murphy (Fine Gael).
    Billy Kelleher (Fianna Fail)
    Jonathan O'Brien (Sinn Fein)

South-Central

Jerry Buttimer (Fine Gael).
    Ciaran Lynch (Labour).
    Michael Martin (Fianna Fail leader), Leader of the opposition.
    Michael McGrath (Fianna Fail).
    You left out Coveney in CSC. Whilst he may live around Minane Bridge or somewhere, he nonetheless represents part of the city.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    Will all Garda stations be closed at the same time or will it be staggered?
    I imagine all the same time. How can one station at night deal with all the inner city problems as well as police the suburbs effectively? Madness and destined to fail.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    Gardai on the street and in cars are more relevant than on open building. Cork isn't that big anyway in that everywhere is within 10 mins of "city" centre
    Dead right, I know from members of the force that there are some handy duties indoors both night and day. I remember years ago a shop owner in a certain town told me he was held up just as he was about to close. He rang the guards to say that the robber was about to pass the station and asked that the guard would step out and nab him. Guard's reply was that he was the only one in the building and was not allowed to leave.
    Cops on the streets, not at desks , are what's needed. According to tonight's Evening Echo, guy had his face slashed last night at Patrick's Bridge, right in the city centre. Guards are looking for witnesses who were there between 12.30 and 1.45 am. Does this mean a row went on for that length of time without garda involvement ? Incredible if true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    You left out Coveney in CSC. Whilst he may live around Minane Bridge or somewhere, he nonetheless represents part of the city.
    Thanks for the correction.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast