Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What are six county unionists feelings towards Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What are six county unionists feelings towards Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan ?

I remember reading an interview with a loyalist and Shane Paul O'Doherty a number of years ago, and the loyalist seemed to regret Donegal in particular been lost to the Free State/ROI. I think Ken Magennis has said similar on occasions. So I was wondering, do unionists have some sort of affinity with your fellow Ulster counties or are you totally divorced from them ( even though they still have quite a few orange lodges etc ) ? For those who might follow Gaelic football, would you have taken a greater interest when Donegal the most northern county in Ireland was playing etc ?
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The current DUP Ceann Comhairle is a Dhún na nGall man. And sure didn't Peter the Punt try to invade Monaghan with his motley crew?
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As you'll hear from their ramblings many loyalists, who are hopelessly uneducated, continually refer to the south as "foreign", and that the tri-colour is a foreign flag, and how "if you don't like our wee country go to the republic", well these 3 counties are "south" in "the republic" and are under the tri-colour in a "foreign country"

'Ulster is British' me arse. They take a very hostile position and response when such facts are presented to them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    The current DUP Ceann Comhairle is a Dhún na nGall man. And sure didn't Peter the Punt try to invade Monaghan with his motley crew?
    As is the man who puts the 9 county Ulster into Ulster Unionism Basil McCrea.

Politics.ie Member Tommythesash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many unionists actually believe that the Ulster border ends at Doire. While some of them may speculate about how things might have been if the British had held on to Donegal, some quietly hoped that the impotent Boundary Commision was going to leave Armagh in the republic.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I also recall Ian McCrea on twitter cheering on Donegal to the Anglo-Celt so it would stop celebrations from Irish nationalists in Tyrone and "Londonderry". Despite the obvious Scaudenfreude, I respect the man for taking an interest in the GAA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommythesash View Post
    Many unionists actually believe that the Ulster border ends at Doire. While some of them may speculate about how things might have been if the British had held on to Donegal, some quietly hoped that the impotent Boundary Commision was going to leave Armagh in the republic.
    What the sweet fukk would you know about Ulster you pretend plastic twat?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some excellent golf courses and the nearest access to cheap fuel.

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DT123 View Post
    Some excellent golf courses and the nearest access to cheap fuel.
    This is the hypocrisy that I see all time time from unionists. You avail of Irish products daily, but when republicans/nationalists avail of British goods, such as 'the queen's shilling' and as you mentioned earlier - the football. So when are you going to put a stop to this childish and pathetic contradictory nonsense?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Global Justice View Post
    This is the hypocrisy that I see all time time from unionists. You avail of Irish products daily, but when republicans/nationalists avail of British goods, such as 'the queen's shilling' and as you mentioned earlier - the football. So when are you going to put a stop to this childish and pathetic contradictory nonsense?
    What are you slabbering about now?

Have I claimed that the golf courses or the fuel are not in the RoI?I have no problem with spending money in the Republic,or with southerners buying stuff in the North.What is "contradictory" about anything I said?

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast