Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Iniquitous Landlord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Iniquitous Landlord

There are two stories in the Irish Times today concerning Landlords

The first on page one

Landlord paid €620,000 in rent subsidies - The Irish Times - Fri, Dec 28, 2012

has a link to the second on page two thereby tying them together

Landlords oppose ban on bedsits planned for early 2013 - The Irish Times - Fri, Dec 28, 2012

Let me start by saying that I believe the time is long past due for the complete elimination of Bedsits and that I have no sympathy with the protests of landlords of these properties.

But
    let's go back to the first story
    The Headline reads " Landlord paid €620,000 in rent subsidies"

This is really sloppy journalism and is factually incorrect. It panders to the mindset that all Landlords are leeches ,sucking blood from the National Economy.

The first sentence of this article reads
    " One landlord received €620,000 from the State in the form of rent supplement payments last year."
    That this statement is factually incorrect is borne out the the succeeding sentence

" The rental subsidy is typically paid to people on low incomes or on social welfare who cannot afford to pay the full cost of their rent, and is passed on to the property owner."

Even this sentence is not entirely accurate. Notice the use of the qualifier "typically". A more accurate statement would be " rental subsidy is paid to people on low incomes........ " With the addition of the word "typically" there is just that shade of implication that maybe the money is paid directly to the landlord.

At the end of the third paragraph the article states:-

" The average payment during 2011 was €5,220. "

and then the penultimate two paragraphs

" To ensure value for money for the taxpayer, she added, the department had set maximum rent limits.

Despite these limits, housing groups report that many tenants are being asked to pay “top-up” payments to landlords for rent that is above the maximum allowance limit. "

€5,220 over a period of 12 months works out at €435 per month.

"the department had set maximum rent limits" this would suggest that the department has set €435 per month as the average rent of an apartment.

I have been unable to find many apartments on offer to rent at €435 per month.The few that I have found are all studio apartments and would not be suitable for couples or families.

What is clear ,if you read the facts and ignore the tone, is that the Department has set the maximum allowance limit far too low and that landlords must aks for “top-up” payments in order that they can supply acceptable standard accommodation to tenants.
    Just because you did something stupid yesterday does not mean you cannot do something smart today!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All landlords are capitalist running dogs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bactrian View Post
    There are two stories in the Irish Times today concerning Landlords

" The average payment during 2011 was €5,220. "

and then the penultimate two paragraphs

" To ensure value for money for the taxpayer, she added, the department had set maximum rent limits.

Despite these limits, housing groups report that many tenants are being asked to pay “top-up” payments to landlords for rent that is above the maximum allowance limit. "

€5,220 over a period of 12 months works out at €435 per month.

"the department had set maximum rent limits" this would suggest that the department has set €435 per month as the average rent of an apartment.
    Some clarification is needed here. The fact an average was 5,220 does not mean this is the max set by the Dept. In fact, in Dublin, for certain types of hose, it is in the region of 850 per month. Secondly, the Dept. expect all tenants to make a contribution themselves.

I think this was argued here some time back. Somebody made the point that Slumlords provide a usefull service to people who want to live in cold, damp, cramped conditions that make a pothole by the M50 seem luxurious.

I lived in a bedsit for a while in the early 90's. You could only open the door by about 2 feet before it hit the end of the bed. To enter you had to climb over the bed. We kept a hammer by the door due to the attempted intrusions by the wino's who lived next door. It was heaven.
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corporal punishment View Post
    I think this was argued here some time back. Somebody made the point that Slumlords provide a usefull service to people who want to live in cold, damp, cramped conditions that make a pothole by the M50 seem luxurious.

I lived in a bedsit for a while in the early 90's. You could only open the door by about 2 feet before it hit the end of the bed. To enter you had to climb over the bed. We kept a hammer by the door due to the attempted intrusions by the wino's who lived next door. It was heaven.

Would not a corkscrew have been a more useful implement?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should have put up a curtain down the middle of the room, and sub-let.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should have put up some rickety shelving and opened an off-licence.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tawdy View Post
    Would not a corkscrew have been a more useful implement?
    Discerning winos only buy screwcaps these days.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    Discerning winos only buy screwcaps these days.

Do you really think they would notice that difference? I don`t when I go for that second bottle.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hard to believe some of the hovels they try to rent out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast