Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Resolution coming up - what's yours.

Default New Year's Resolution coming up - what's yours.

In the last couple of years I've had a new years resolution, sky diving, scuba diving are two I succeeded with, learning a musical instrument is one I failed miserably at. Just wondering what you all might have as one. Learning Irishz run a marathon, stop smoking, join a political party, leave a political party. The time in between christmas and the new year allows us time to reflect on our lives, there must be a name for this time in Irish, and make our lives better.
    What is your idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bye bye mubarak View Post
    In the last couple of years I've had a new years resolution, sky diving, scuba diving are two I succeeded with, learning a musical instrument is one I failed miserably at. Just wondering what you all might have as one. Learning Irishz run a marathon, stop smoking, join a political party, leave a political party. The time in between christmas and the new year allows us time to reflect on our lives, there must be a name for this time in Irish, and make our lives better.
    What is your idea.
    Quitting the smokes.

Sorry to drag this off topic on post 2, but how far did you get with the music? Did you actually pick an instrument, and if so, which did you choose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm going to try and be positive about 2013. Simple as that. Positivity. I'll wait for a sea change to happen and be 'positive' in the meantime.

I do'nt want the politicians to be the b all and end all of my life. I do not want them beating the future visionaries of Ireland down to the level they seem to want everyone to be at. There is more in us than the political drudgery would have us believe. I'm struggling hard to make a business and I have to be positive. The alternative is they win.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
    Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
    Everybody knows that the war is over
    Everybody knows the good guys lost
    Everybody knows the fight was fixed
    The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
    That's how it goes
    Everybody knows

By Leonard Cohen.
    To survive. The marginal tax rate on the averate wage in this country is above 50%. VAT is 23%. Commercial rates drive up the cost of everything we buy in the shops, and cost the shopkeeper more than his rent. Then we have all the other stealth taxes.

And the promise is empty, because the money that we are paying for our old age disappears into a hole, with billions being given to the Anglo Bondholders.

To survive in a system where the system is rigged against working people.

To survive in a system that is increasingly behaving like a ponzi scheme. And a ponzi scheme runs as long as there are enough suckers joining in at the bottom, to prop it all up.

To survive in a system where an institutional state is behaving increasingly like a raket, and where the EU is increasingly becomming more imperial.

Best of luck to each of you as try to do the same.
    Last edited by Analyzer; 27th December 2012 at 02:25 PM.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Quote Originally Posted by still-life View Post
    Quitting the smokes.

Sorry to drag this off topic on post 2, but how far did you get with the music? Did you actually pick an instrument, and if so, which did you choose?
    Tried the mandolin;might have been something to do with Galway Girl, but didn't seem to get time to practice enough.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tried the mandolin;might have been something to do with Galway Girl, but didn't seem to get time to practice enough.
    Maybe start with a recorder the next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, it's tough as an adult - the motivation usually comes from an "I want to sound like that" type moment, and the discouraging reality is that you just sound crap for ages. It helps to have an absolutely blind faith in the fact that if you practise you will get better, and a zen like serenity to convince yourself that the journey is actually more important than the destination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DT123 View Post
    Maybe start with a recorder the next time.
    It's for sure that choosing an instrument that's not as initially technically challenging allows you to focus more on the music than the mechanics, but you'd need fierce single-mindedness to abandon the ego, and listen to yourself on the recorder for a year

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I have decided as a first to actually make a resolution, no, two resolutions.

1. I will give up behaving my self, It`s a waste of precious time.

2. I have bought an Acoustic guitar, I intend to learn how to play that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Intend to publish a few new books.

And a combination of giving up drinking and getting back into distance running with a long shot at the October marathon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast