Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Gov't replacing family with State?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is Gov't replacing family with State?

Fitzgerald favours subsidised childcare over benefit - The Irish Times - Thu, Dec 27, 2012

Lots of conspiracy theories surrounded the Children's referendum.

John Waters even spoke of the "Austerity Man" coming in the middle of the night to steal away your child.

But perhaps a more rational explanation is this: Many quangos have sought the creation of a state funded childcare industry which - of course - will be in the hands of the public sector and by extension the croke park trade unions that run it.

The children's referendum is unlikely to resulting in late night childsnatching by the state.

What it will do is give lotsof NGOs a legal claim for huge funding to provide service that ought to be provided by the family.

Frances Fitzgerald - whoe although nominally FG - is really one of Garrett Fitzgerald's protege's and is more Labour than Labour themselves - is a major champion of this approach.

The reality is that whatever about the failings of teh church and individual families had the state had charge of our kids the abuse would have been ten times worse.

The HSE shows what happens when you put the Irish state in charge of anything.

This proposal is a direct attack on the individual liberties of our citizens.

A gov't that has just cut child benefit and maternity allowance - not to mention proposed legalising abortion - but which is now proposing that we give it power over our kids has obviously lost all sense of irony, direction and common sense.

It should be told in no uncertain terms that we don't want the state to have anything more to do with our children.

Keep state's hands off our kids.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fitzgerald is a genius. There are clearly not enough quangos in Ireland. And there are not enough programs to be directed by quangos.

We need more quangos. Take the money off the people, and then give it back in the form of a present from a quango. What a joke of an institutional state.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Fitzgerald is a genius. There are clearly not enough quangos in Ireland. And there are not enough programs to be directed by quangos.

We need more quangos.
    And as for that guy Waters? Let's all listen to his balanced, untwisted views on the family and morality...

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr. jings View Post
    And as for that guy Waters? Let's all listen to his balanced, untwisted views on the family and morality...
    How about him and Sinead discuss this.....
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is designed to encourage women to work outside of the home.

A laudable motive, once it doesn't discriminate against women who choose to work in the home, by taking all support from them and giving it to those who work outside of the home.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A voucher system would eliminate the need for inefficient state childcare monoliths. I think replacing child benefit that is often spent on everything except childcare with a targeted approach is an excellent idea.

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    It is designed to encourage women to work outside of the home.

A laudable motive, once it doesn't discriminate against women who choose to work in the home, by taking all support from them and giving it to those who work outside of the home.
    Work "in the home"...hmmmmm.

My wife and I have had to do both over the past 15 years and to be honest people "working in the home" are beginning to get on my wick. Why should people balancing work and home, paying tax on two salaries, NOT get preferential treatment?
    The more things change....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    Work "in the home"...hmmmmm.

My wife and I have had to do both over the past 15 years and to be honest people "working in the home" are beginning to get on my wick. Why should people balancing work and home, paying tax on two salaries, NOT get preferential treatment?
    hmmmmm, yourself. I've worked mostly in the home for 12 years. Rented for most of it, one foreign holiday in 10 years, old cars, tight budgets, to be able to stay at home with my children. Why should you be treated preferentially because you chose not to?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Dylan2010

The state doesnt want stay at home parents, they cant be taxed and they cant overpay for taxable assets like houses. The ironic thing is that society would be in a better place if the gov. didnt have an opinion on this. More families would have run their finances based on one income and not on bubble era double incomes which would rise to infinity.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Scandanavian Countries have very high levels of female participation in the workforce. This change will be necessary. almost 3 girls attend University in Ireland for every tow boys who attend.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast