Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: St Stephen's Day a public holiday since 1871

Politics.ie Member Eric Cartman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default St Stephen's Day a public holiday since 1871

I always wondered whether St Stephen's Day is an authentic holiday or whether the newly-established Free State authorities simply re-branded 'Boxing Day'.

Here's the answer: St Stephen's day has been a public holiday since the 1871 Bank Holidays Act.

It was likely indeed celebrated before that as is in many countries on the Continent e.g. Catalonia, Alsace-Lorraine and others.

The Act designated four Bank Holidays in England, Wales and Ireland (Easter Monday; Whit Monday; First Monday in August; Boxing Day in England and Wales and St Stephen's Day in Ireland), and five in Scotland (New Year's Day; Good Friday; First Monday in May; First Monday in August; Christmas Day).

In England, Wales and Ireland, Good Friday and Christmas Day were considered traditional days of rest (as were Sundays) and therefore it was felt unnecessary to include them in the Act.
    Good Friday has never been a legal public holiday, St Patrick's day was added sometime before independence (1903), then Halloween Bank Holiday (1977), and the most recent public holiday added was May Day (1994):

New Year's Day (1 January)
    St. Patrick's Day (17 March)
    Easter Monday
    First Monday in May, June (Whit), August
    Last Monday in October
    Christmas Day (25 December)
    St. Stephen's Day (26 December)

Now then, am I to assume that the North never observed 'Boxing Day' until sometime after 1922?? Is that correct?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ahh, the kindness of the Master to the servants who worked up to, and on Christmas day, a box with a present in it. Brings a tear to my eye.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.”—Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabhaDubh View Post
    Ahh, the kindness of the Master to the servants who worked up to, and on Christmas day, a box with a present in it. Brings a tear to my eye.
    Indeed.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could be...

come from a custom in the late Roman/early Christian era, wherein metal boxes placed outside churches were used to collect special offerings tied to the Feast of Saint Stephen,[2] which in the Western Church falls on the same day as Boxing Day.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Time to resurrect this thread, the season that's in it. I still wonder did Protestant s in the North celebrate St Stephens day until 1921? Is 'Boxing Day' a myth....?

Politics.ie Member Frank Galton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And don't forget the holidays we kept for the King's birthday and Empire day, at least in the public sector ...
    The Daily Mail -- the world's biggest cut-and-paste operation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Time to resurrect this thread, the season that's in it. I still wonder did Protestant s in the North celebrate St Stephens day until 1921? Is 'Boxing Day' a myth....?

It got only four posts last year and you think it needs to be resurrected for this year ?