Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reporting Social Welfare Fraud: Your Opinion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Reporting Social Welfare Fraud: Your Opinion?

I have noticed a huge shift in attitudes in Ireland over the last decade. In the Ireland I grew up in, informing on people to the authorities for fraud and petty theft was considered an awful thing to do. Shame attached to 'grasses' and 'rats' as they were known.

Now, when I return to Ireland I noticed a markedly different attitude towards things such a tax evasion and welfare fraud. Whereas before it wasn't considered such a reprehensible things to do, now it seems there is no tolerance for it. I see Dept Social Protection has found fraud worth over 500 million.

Social welfare probe finds fraud worth over €500m - National News - Independent.ie

I wonder how much of the above was uncovered through tips from the public?

I personally know of 2 women who claim One ParentnFamily Allowance while having their partner living with them, partner working, children's fathers contributing (partner different to Dad). I am sure other people are aware of this also. So it seems there is reluctance on the part of people to tell the authorities of such things.

What is your attitude? Would you inform if you knew the state was being deprived of revenue by someone not entitled to it, but perhaps needing it? Please discuss.
    The facts and nothing but the facts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

your a rat , plain and simple
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It should be reported as its theft pure and simple.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You say not entitled to but needing it. But there's a difference between need and want. Social welfare fraud is driven by greed, and becomes ingrained. So report the lot of them.

Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As above your a rat if you do. Put your energy into protesting the bank bailouts at the expense of the less well off in our society.

Quote Originally Posted by neiphin View Post
    your a rat , plain and simple
    Would you inform the gaurds if someone you knew, stole from you. Would that make you a rat?
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Druidess View Post
    I have noticed a huge shift in attitudes in Ireland over the last decade. In the Ireland I grew up in, informing on people to the authorities for fraud and petty theft was considered an awful thing to do. Shame attached to 'grasses' and 'rats' as they were known.

Now, when I return to Ireland I noticed a markedly different attitude towards things such a tax evasion and welfare fraud. Whereas before it wasn't considered such a reprehensible things to do, now it seems there is no tolerance for it. I see Dept Social Protection has found fraud worth over 500 million.

Social welfare probe finds fraud worth over 500m - National News - Independent.ie

I wonder how much of the above was uncovered through tips from the public?

I personally know of 2 women who claim One ParentnFamily Allowance while having their partner living with them, partner working, children's fathers contributing (partner different to Dad). I am sure other people are aware of this also. So it seems there is reluctance on the part of people to tell the authorities of such things.

What is your attitude? Would you inform if you knew the state was being deprived of revenue by someone not entitled to it, but perhaps needing it? Please discuss.
    I have no time for rats who steal the nations money, keeping everyone in a state of high taxation to pay for them.

It's bad enough that we have always had a class of underachievers who think nothing of basically stealing form the nation while giving back nothing.

Imagine the damage to a child who grows up in that atmosphere, what goals can they have, what self respect?

Then we have the added bonus of people from other countries coming here to do the same.

I'd phone the hotline and donate any reward to rescuing the kids from the clutches of these scum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Theft is theft. To say otherwise is cute hoorism just like the bankers etc but on a smaller scale. It all needs to stop. Got a lad on the ambulance recently in his mid 20's who proudly told me how he never worked as he has a disability allowance since he was 18. I was bringing his 23 year old girlfriend to the hospital to have their 3rd child. He skipped into the back of the ambulance no bother. His dad did the same apparently.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corporal punishment View Post
    Would you inform the gaurds if someone you knew, stole from you. Would that make you a rat?
    it depends who , why, and what
    if it allows a family unit to keep their heads above water, i have no problems what so ever
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Theft is theft. To say otherwise is cute hoorism just like the bankers etc but on a smaller scale. It all needs to stop. Got a lad on the ambulance recently in his mid 20's who proudly told me how he never worked as he has a disability allowance since he was 18. I was bringing his 23 year old girlfriend to the hospital to have their 3rd child. He skipped into the back of the ambulance no bother. His dad did the same apparently.
    Monke see, monkey do.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast