Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Drumcree 1995

Politics.ie Member Portadown madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Drumcree 1995

A 2 hour documentary of what happened.

If I'm going to be complete and utter honest, this is what changed me. it was a toss of a coin if I wore a balaclava and took the fight to the wee oppressed taigs down the Garvaghy. or took the easy way out and did one. at first, like many other Orangemen and Unionist why were we denied to walk down British roads? the Queens highway? just because a bunch of wee no-nothings complained. don't like it, feck off to the south, was the answer. The great man Ian Paisley turned up and gave one of his speeches that had every unionist feeling that we were invincible. at the same time behind Drumcree church, I was given a balaclava and told Ulster expects!! being 21 at the time I thought I was the dogs bollix . yet I was ************************ting bricks because something at the back of my head told me this was fecking wrong.lucky for me my older brother (who became a prominent figure in the UUP for upper bann) decided to take a piss behind drumcree church, luckily for me, he saw my dilemma, and yelled at me'' Ma and da never brought you up like this'' what ye playing at???
    It was that, that i think changed my life. i just ran back home like a wee boy shyte scared
    In regards to the video, we had suppourt from England, Scotland, USA, Canada and New Zealand
    Drumcree 1996 - Amateur Footage (Documentary) - YouTube

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool story. What happened in the end? Did they get to march down the Garvaghy road?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Portadown madman View Post
    A 2 hour documentary of what happened.

If I'm going to be complete and utter honest, this is what changed me. it was a toss of a coin if I wore a balaclava and took the fight to the wee oppressed taigs down the Garvaghy. or took the easy way out and did one. at first, like many other Orangemen and Unionist why were we denied to walk down British roads? the Queens highway? just because a bunch of wee no-nothings complained. don't like it, feck off to the south, was the answer. The great man Ian Paisley turned up and gave one of his speeches that had every unionist feeling that we were invincible. at the same time behind Drumcree church, I was given a balaclava and told Ulster expects!! being 21 at the time I thought I was the dogs bollix . yet I was ************************ting bricks because something at the back of my head told me this was fecking wrong.lucky for me my older brother (who became a prominent figure in the UUP for upper bann) decided to take a piss behind drumcree church, luckily for me, he saw my dilemma, and yelled at me'' Ma and da never brought you up like this'' what ye playing at???
    It was that, that i think changed my life. i just ran back home like a wee boy shyte scared
    In regards to the video, we had suppourt from England, Scotland, USA, Canada and New Zealand
    Drumcree 1996 - Amateur Footage (Documentary) - YouTube
    What were you scared of?

The RUC were on your side...

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PM;

The Cain index for the year you were born:-
    CAIN: Chronology of the Conflict 1974

An for the Drumcree year:-

CAIN: Chronology of the Conflict 1995
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Garvaghy Road has thankfully been Orangeman-free for 15 years. Their yearly march has dwindled to a couple hundred and their weekly 'protest' has dwindled to a few bitter old men who can't accept that they lost. Nobody cares anymore, not even their UVF and UDA buddies. It's time to suck it up and move on: you'll not be marching down Garvaghy Road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Feen View Post
    Cool story. What happened in the end? Did they get to march down the Garvaghy road?
    Nope, lucky for for them...we could have walked right down the garvaghy and smashed the them to utter annihilation.

East Belfast might be the capital of protestantism, but Portadown is the Heart of Protestantism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    What were you scared of?

The RUC were on your side...
    Nationalist Myth...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

we could have walked right down the garvaghy and smashed the them to utter annihilation.
    But instead...

i just ran back home like a wee boy shyte scared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bandheacseoir View Post
    But instead...

And? i had the bollix to turn and run. maybe i should have worn that balaclava and shot dead 20 residents of the Garvaghy road. if that was the case, you'd be on here screaming oppression and murdering loyalist bastards.

So what was the best idea, taig boy?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope, lucky for for them...we could have walked right down the garvaghy and smashed the them to utter annihilation.

East Belfast might be the capital of protestantism, but Portadown is the Heart of Protestantism.
    And in this, we see in miniature the root of the entire problem; side A saying, with not a hint of aggression, "this is ours and you must obey", and side B responding to aggression and saying "never shall we abide it".

In turn we get deadlock, which can only be solved by force: the force of the Orangemen (in this instance), the force of the under siege Nationalist residents, or a force superior to both, the force of the (British) state.

The same root impulses caused World War I, sparked World War II, the Korean War, the Troubles, and keep men hating and murdering each other to this day the world over when the rational course of action would be to cooperate and increase both sides' happiness.

Humans: rational animals, if only it were so.

And? i had the bollix to turn and run. maybe i should have worn that balaclava and shot dead 20 residents of the Garvaghy road. if that was the case, you'd be on here screaming oppression and murdering loyalist bastards.

So what was the best idea, taig boy?
    And a young man brought up in the Nationalist tradition would have thereafter taken a gun and killed members of your tribe in "revenge".

And, if not killed or maimed in the interim, you both would have suffered in anguish afterward at the horror and uselessness of your crimes.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast