Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midnight mass from Leeds cathedral

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Midnight mass from Leeds cathedral

Just watching this lovely service on BBC.

Am RC myself.

Amazed at the, to my eyes, merging of Anglican traditions ( choristers in stalls, non traditional, to my ears, music, diversity on the alter and in the congregation) for a long time I thought I was looking at a high church Anglican service.

Then you had more traditional Roman Catholic elements ( ceremony, smoke, Latin, 'holy Catholic Church', deference for Virgin Mary, etc)

I would love to read more on the similarities of the the two traditions, history, great debates etc.

Does anyone have any simple reading or Internet sources I can look at?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try Martin Luther.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They used Leeds cathedral???

Good god.

It was revealed recently that Jimmy Savile abused 5-10 year old girls there. (He lived beside it.) His funeral mass was held there. Of all the cathedrals in the UK what idiot picked that cathedral to use 7 weeks after the abuse was revealed???

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post

Good god.

It was revealed recently that Jimmy Savile abused 5-10 year old girls there. (He lived beside it.) His funeral mass was held there. Of all the cathedrals in the UK what idiot picked that cathedral to use 7 weeks after the abuse was revealed???
    Because it would have been easy to find a RC cathedral that didnt have any associations with child abuse cases?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
    Because it would have been easy to find a RC cathedral that didnt have any associations with child abuse cases?
    It is rather insensitive though picking the very cathedral directly linked to the most notorious paedophile in modern British history weeks after his details were released, especially when his funeral was held there and he abused 5-10 year old girls in that very building.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is rather insensitive though picking the very cathedral directly linked to the most notorious paedophile in modern British history weeks after his details were released, especially when his funeral was held there and he abused 5-10 year old girls in that very building.
    As long as there are people like you to complain about things like this the world will carry on just fine.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see to'b can't resist trolling.

Politics.ie Member Silvio Dante's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Just watching this lovely service on BBC.

Am RC myself.

Amazed at the, to my eyes, merging of Anglican traditions ( choristers in stalls, non traditional, to my ears, music, diversity on the alter and in the congregation) for a long time I thought I was looking at a high church Anglican service.

Then you had more traditional Roman Catholic elements ( ceremony, smoke, Latin, 'holy Catholic Church', deference for Virgin Mary, etc)

I would love to read more on the similarities of the the two traditions, history, great debates etc.

Does anyone have any simple reading or Internet sources I can look at?

I see no harm in merging traditions myself...

Politics.ie Member Silvio Dante's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good god.

Send a strongly worded letter to Aunty Bee...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good god.

Isn't this just the type of hysteria you were complaining about when Savile's links to Thatcher and the royal family were highlighted?
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast