Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The cynical reporting of a politicians death...

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The cynical reporting of a politicians death...

I've stayed away from the RIP thread, from the bye election thread, and from the thread discussing whether or not politicians are subject to too much abuse on the internet/social media...

I have however been getting more and more annoyed with the reporting of the death of Shane Mc Entee and how it seems to be being directed in a particular direction, which to me sounds like it suits the particular agenda of certain sections of the political establishment (i.e. to deflect from certain issues which are weighing heavily upon themselves at the moment), and the established mainstream media (to characterise the online commentating community as foaming at the mouth nutcases, who shouldn't be read by any right minded person)...

I then came across a blog this evening, which more or less represents my view of the how things have been spun in the past few days.. and it's thrown up some very honest questions as far as I am concerned..

Questions such as...

If Deputy Mc Entee was being attacked by anonymous persons on the internet, why wasn't a colleague of his admonished for calling his suggestions "moronic" last Summer

Minister's words 'moronic' - FG TD - The Irish Times - Fri, Jun 22, 2012

Why has their been no mention of Senator Thomas Byrne of Fianna Fail describing Mc Entees comments on the respite care cut as "callous and crass on Facebook"...

Byrne calls on McEntee to clarify callous comments | Fianna Fáil

If Deputy Mc Entee was under pressure over Budget cuts, was any of this pressure applied upon him by FG whips to support the Budget ?

Who was the un named FG source who claimed in the national media that "“Parts of social media give a voice to nutcases who are full of anger and spit out vitriol.

“There is no filter – they give a platform to these people when often it’s just bile.”

And did they get the irony of an "un named" source complaining about anonymous internet contributors..

Here's a very well wriiten piece that's worth the read...

The Cynical Reporting of a Politician’s Death « It's a Political World
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oriel House View Post
    Happy Christmas to you RoC. Frankly, I've had enough of all this until the New Year. There's a glass of sherry with my name on it downstairs.
    Many happy returns.. I can't indulge.. I'm off to play Santa in about 2 hours

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    Who was the un named FG source who claimed in the national media that "“Parts of social media give a voice to nutcases who are full of anger and spit out vitriol.

“There is no filter – they give a platform to these people when often it’s just bile.”
    Do you agree with what the unnamed source said, Rock? Simple Yes or No.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    1. I don't know what they said.. and neither do you Hiding in fairness.. you are putting forward a number of the more vitriolic ones, which of course I don't agree with.. ?

2. Do you not see a certain level of hypocrisy of an "un named FG source" complaining about "anonymous Facebook/Twitter/P.ie posters" ?

3. Are there any parts of the piece which you do agree with ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

roc you are so correct in your musings, my compliments, also a happy christmas to you and yours.

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I picked up on that piece via twitter this morning. Good summary.

The wider issue here is this. Where can voters voice dissent and is there validity in doing this anonymously?

Are we to be reduced to the letters pages in the papers? Fine, and a well worn path by yours truly, but it is not scale-able. I would hate to see a "chill effect" on the impact or credibility of fora such as these.

I joined FG because I wanted to have a voice, I am very disillusioned by what the party has done and who still dominates FG. so that has gone too.

and what about voicing dissent anonymously? I think this has merit and precedence.

The "Draiper" column was anonymous, as is much of the Phoenix magazine. Furthermore, there are subjects here which I have raised or commented on, which I would not want to have my name attached to. Not out of cowardice, but because it would be VERY clear who I was talking about, either in a sympathetic or critical way.

And then there is the chill effect of being openly in a party, or opposed to certain govt policies.

Using one appalling thread here to "mute / render beyond the pale" the comments emanating from this site would be a huge win for the political class.

Lets all behave in a manner that it is very hard for them to discredit the site. We are all stakeholders here

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

roc you are so correct in your musings, my compliments, also a happy christmas to you and yours.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    1. I don't know what they said.. and neither do you Hiding in fairness.. you are putting forward a number of the more vitriolic ones, which of course I don't agree with.. ?
    Alright then, do you agree with what the unnamed source is quoted as having said?

2. Do you not see a certain level of hypocrisy of an "un named FG source" complaining about "anonymous Facebook/Twitter/P.ie posters" ?
    No. Because the unnamed source wasn't complaining about people posting anonymously on social media, he was complaining about them using their anonymity to post "vicious bile" which as we know included death threats and hopes that the person in question would commit suicide. I'd have thought that was fairly obvious.

3. Are there any parts of the piece which you do agree with ?
    I didn't read it. I read your post.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    DO you not feel that anger, hate and vitriol are sometimes what is needed.

Intemperate language and later regretted comments are a fact of life. Here, you can be boxed into a corner and may lack the grace or eloquence to dilute your comments.

I have learnt to be a lot more tolerant of others and respectful on this site. Not everyone holds my world view.

Visceral reactions are very interesting. Why did people hate certain comments or politicians so much?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
    I picked up on that piece via twitter this morning. Good summary.

The wider issue here is this. Where can voters voice dissent and is there validity in doing this anonymously?

Are we to be reduced to the letters pages in the papers? Fine, and a well worn path by yours truly, but it is not scale-able. I would hate to see a "chill effect" on the impact or credibility of fora such as these.

I joined FG because I wanted to have a voice, I am very disillusioned by what the party has done and who still dominates FG. so that has gone too.

and what about voicing dissent anonymously? I think this has merit and precedence.

The "Draiper" column was anonymous, as is much of the Phoenix magazine. Furthermore, there are subjects here which I have raised or commented on, which I would not want to have my name attached to. Not out of cowardice, but because it would be VERY clear who I was talking about, either in a sympathetic or critical way.

And then there is the chill effect of being openly in a party, or opposed to certain govt policies.

Using one appalling thread here to "mute / render beyond the pale" the comments emanating from this site would be a huge win for the political class.

Lets all behave in a manner that it is very hard for them to discredit the site. We are all stakeholders here
    But nobody - NOBODY - either within or outside the so-called political establishment, has suggested, said, hinted or implied that the public don't have the right to dissent.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast