Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What evidence have you seen of economic revival in the Christmas sales?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What evidence have you seen of economic revival in the Christmas sales?

Shop-keepers have suggested that sales this Christmas period were the best in five years.

I had noticed the same thing myself. I did my Christmas shopping over this weekend and was really surprised at the amount of business being done. It was on a scale I had not seen in a number of years. I went to a restaurant last night and was surprised to find that it quickly filled up. I haven't seen full restaurants for quite a while.

A lot of businesses stayed open long after normal closing time last night in Dublin. I was able to go into one shop at 7pm though it was supposed to close at six, and at 7pm there were queues at the tills. The same thing happened in a bookshop where the manager said they planned to stay open as long as the crowds kept flocking in - and they did.

Toy shops had long queues and lots of items entirely sold out. That was not the case on the same day last year when I was in there.

The bus this evening at 7pm was full of shoppers with bags.

Is the same happening in rural towns as has been happening in Dublin?

I am rather surprised at the sudden high level of buying this Christmas. It suggests a growth in consumer confidence.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its simple really.........YES!....

we have turned the corner.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lots of people have money but dont have any confidence in our Govts . past and present. Rainy day scenario.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

City Centre Pubs doing well this year. All the places between Grafton St & Georges St were packed over the last couple of weekends. I noticed some of the week nights were quite busy as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A lot of this could be put down to people letting their hair down for one last time before we start paying Property Taxes and the like. I have noticed this shopping season as being a lot busier than last. We did the bulk of our grocery shopping yesterday and town was jammers. I hear the same of today.
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its juts a case of people being sensible and giving up nights out etc and saving for Christmas. Their will be a one or maybe two week surge then business will be terrible in January. Their is no consumer confidence.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You must be reaching the bottom of the barrel for FG cheerleading at this stage, Tommy,
    People buy stuff at Christmas. To mistake that general trend for an economic upturn is something that the school teachers Noonan or that school teacher Enda Kenny would do. Do they buy Feta cheese too? Are they going mad?
    Regards...jmcc

longshortgrass

Local shopping centre GIANT car park was full this pm...never seen it happen before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jesus wept,more people go shopping at Christmas shocker.
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james toney View Post
    Jesus wept,more people go shopping at Christmas shocker.
    Yes but FG HQ seems to think that the Sun coming up each morning is due to Enda Kenny being Taoiseach.
    Regards...jmcc

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast