Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Call the Gardaí if you see a beggar with a child

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Call the Gardaí if you see a beggar with a child

I wrote this in an immigration thread but realized the message has to go wider than the NNth page of a flame war.

If you see a beggar holding a baby/child, CALL THE GARDA on the bast**d. It's not even about immigration, it's child abuse. The child is in grave danger, might be drugged, might be sold, and imoact on development is practically assured. Child protection has to step in and as far as I understand, the only way for a civilian-from-the-street to involve it is via the Gardaí.

Whatever one thinks of beggars in general, immigrants, Roma, the EU and a host of other issues is not important compared to this. I would advise against rants on the Garda call - make it short and to the point "a beggar is holding an child and I believe the child is in danger".

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer and this is perosnal opinion (but very strongly held).
    Last edited by MichaelR; 23rd December 2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: disclaimer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a good idea.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
    I wrote this in an immigration thread but realized the message has to go wider than the NNth page of a flame war.

If you see a beggar holding a baby/child, CALL THE GARDA on the bast**d. It's not even about immigration, it's child abuse. The child is in grave danger, might be drugged, might be sold, and imoact on development is practically assured. Child protection has to step in and as far as I understand, the only way for a civilian-from-the-street to involve it is via the Gardaí.

Whatever one thinks of beggars in general, immigrants, Roma, the EU and a host of other issues is not important compared to this. I would advise against rants on the Garda call - make it short and to the point "a beggar is holding an child and I believe the child is in danger".

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer and this is perosnal opinion (but very strongly held).
    How often have you witnessed the scenes you have described?

How often have you taken the action you advocate?
    Leges sine moribus vanae

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Panorama - The secret lives of Britain's child beggars - YouTube

Panorama - The secret lives of Britain's child beggars

Id recommend watching the full documentary after the Christmas period. Utterly depressing stuff.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have taken this action several times in two countries, of which I think three times in Ireland (in one of them, I approached the Gardaí at Leinster House entrance - happened to be going to the National Library and they were the closest).

I live out in the country (co. Limerick), so I only encounter them when I visit Dublin. And if I see them I get to the Guards, end of story.

This only applies to beggars with kids. For some reason I never see those in Cork (which I visit far more regularly than Dublin). I often see beggars as such in Cork, but for some reason, I only saw beggars with kids in Dublin (and outside Ireland).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For some reason I never see those in Cork (which I visit far more regularly than Dublin). I often see beggars as such in Cork, but for some reason, I only saw beggars with kids in Dublin (and outside Ireland).
    More foot traffic on Dublins street - more begging opportunities.

The roma are a lot of things, but stupid they aint.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just make sure there not using a a rubber dolly... You know the old song...? my mother gave me a rubber dolly... etc...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_337 View Post
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Also a bit mad. Bit of a mad idea with some good in it. Is the OP a bit mad but also a bit good too ?

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is troubling and may end in a referendum. What happens if one sees a pregnant beggar?

The conscientious citizen of the pro-life variety may report to the Garda that they have seen a 'beggar with child' looking for handouts and enjoin the Garda to stop the abuse of the child.

The citizen who is not moved by dogma can only complain of being harrassed for money by a person wielding a bump and a zygote.

It could only be a matter of seconds before the sweating young Garda mere weeks from Templemore could be faced by a crowd demanding that he see the unborn as an abused child and another crowd pooh-poohing such notions and demanding that the woman be given 50p for an interpreter.

This could be the spark that kindles the flame. Will either God or Richard Dawkins as one chooses save Ireland with a timely intervention on this matter before war is brought down altogether and ochones arise from the mammies of Wexford and and Galway alike.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    This is troubling and may end in a referendum. What happens if one sees a pregnant beggar?

The conscientious citizen of the pro-life variety may report to the Garda that they have seen a 'beggar with child' looking for handouts and enjoin the Garda to stop the abuse of the child.

The citizen who is not moved by dogma can only complain of being harrassed for money by a person wielding a bump and a zygote.

It could only be a matter of seconds before the sweating young Garda mere weeks from Templemore could be faced by a crowd demanding that he see the unborn as an abused child and another crowd pooh-poohing such notions and demanding that the woman be given 50p for an interpreter.

This could be the spark that kindles the flame. Will either God or Richard Dawkins as one chooses save Ireland with a timely intervention on this matter before war is brought down altogether and ochones arise from the mammies of Wexford and and Galway alike.
    You are either severely disturbed or you are the best satirist on this site.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast