Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Teacher Awarded €700,000 against HSE for "Grossly Reckless" Sex-Abuse Inquiry

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ex-Teacher Awarded €700,000 against HSE for "Grossly Reckless" Sex-Abuse Inquiry

Ex-teacher awarded €700,000 against HSE - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 22, 2012

Story is on page 6 of the Irish Times today Saturday. Subheadings are
    "Court finds inquiry into sex abuse claims conducted in 'grossly reckless' manner AND
    "Man was a victim 'of targeted malice' and of a 'prejudged investigation'

EXTRACT:

In his judgment Mr Justice O’Neill said a report of March 2006 which led to the teacher being removed from his post and placed on administrative leave fell far short of an honest attempt by the HSE to discharge its duty. The documentary evidence in the case “demonstrates forcibly that from the outset of this investigation its outcome was always prejudged or determined”, he said.

It also showed the investigation was “conducted in a manner calculated to ensure that the predetermined concluding would not be deflected or disturbed by any meaningful input by the applicant”. Mr Justice O’Neill said the allegations were effectively accepted as true from the outset and said the health board and health service had at every step of the investigation “sheltered these allegations from appropriate scrutiny, thereby ensuring the applicant did not escape his fate as a child sex abuser, as they saw it”.

I can recall at least two other cases of this type where the HSE conducted bogus investigations of teachers and simply equated an allegation of sex-abuse with guilt. And these are the people who failed to notice that 200 young people in their care had died between 2000 and 2010 - the majority being unnatural deaths (homicide, suicide, drug abuse etc) - I think the original figure they gave was twenty!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Irish Times story is not particularily prominent and I see that the on-line version ommits the two sub-headings thus making it shorter still. The Irish Independent has the story at the bottom of page 26 on its Courts page and it is about half the length of the Irish Times one. It's called "Teacher awarded €700,000 for sex abuse probe failings" but I can't get it online just now.

Is this really all this story is worth? For example are the people responsible for the bogus inquiry going to lose their jobs. (Ha Ha I know the answer to that one.) Are they even going to be reprimanded? Have they conducted other sex-abuse inquiries in the past and will they be allowed to conduct them in the future?

If the media could blame the Bishops, the Banks or Businessman I'm sure there would be a very vigorous discussion on this issue but I feel that this story will just be allowed to die. It will be interesting to see if any Sunday newspaper covers it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbarry1 View Post

Ex-teacher awarded €700,000 against HSE - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 22, 2012

Story is on page 6 of the Irish Times today Saturday. Subheadings are
    "Court finds inquiry into sex abuse claims conducted in 'grossly reckless' manner AND
    "Man was a victim 'of targeted malice' and of a 'prejudged investigation'
    I read that report last night and was puzzled by the bits that weren't included.

For example: "The former teacher was suspended on administrative leave by his school in 2006 but reinstated in 2007 after he took legal proceedings. He never returned to work"

Why not? Was he paid for doing nothing? And if so, for how long? Why is he a "former" teacher? Did his Union support him?

etc. etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    I read that report last night and was puzzled by the bits that weren't included.

For example: "The former teacher was suspended on administrative leave by his school in 2006 but reinstated in 2007 after he took legal proceedings. He never returned to work"

Why not? Was he paid for doing nothing? And if so, for how long? Why is he a "former" teacher? Did his Union support him?

etc. etc.
    If he was suspended then it should have been with pay.

He was innocent.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post

etc. etc.
    The following from the Irish Times may help to answer some of your questions

[Mr Justice O'Neill] was satisfied the malfeasance in public office of the HSE had the consequence of destroying irreparably the life which the teacher enjoyed in all its aspects, professional, social and domestic. While the court’s judgment must go some considerable distance in redressing the wrong done to the teacher, the life he has lost to date cannot be restored and in the future will not be adequately repaired, the judge said.

In the absence of any adequate or proper vindication of his reputation out of the HSE inquiry, the judge said the teacher will have to live with the consequences of the HSE’s wrongdoing for the remainder of his life.

Politics.ie Member Picasso Republic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a good example of why these types of cases MUST in all cases be prosecuted by The Gardai. If the case is not brought to The Gardai then there is no case - and no case means no case.

Those in the HSE who decided to assume the role of The Gardai now need to be investigated and heads need to roll.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a teacher you are guilty until proven innocent. Until you are proven innocent your life may be destroyed. There is an unhealthy obssession with child abuse in this country.

Priests are automatically stigmatised as child abusers yet paedophilia in secular society is glossed over. When a renowned Irish poet goes to Nepal and grooms underage boys for sex nothing happens. By his logic what he did was okay, because he gave them presents. I would have thought his work would have been removed from the syllabus but no. He was defended in this country by a senator who also came out with unusual statements about paedophila and sex abuse victims, yet everyone thinks he is a great wit and the darling of the media.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Claudius View Post
    As a teacher you are guilty until proven innocent. Until you are proven innocent your life may be destroyed. There is an unhealthy obssession with child abuse in this country.

Priests are automatically stigmatised as child abusers yet paedophilia in secular society is glossed over. When a renowned Irish poet goes to Nepal and grooms underage boys for sex nothing happens. By his logic what he did was okay, because he gave them presents. I would have thought his work would have been removed from the syllabus but no. He was defended in this country by a senator who also came out with unusual statements about paedophila and sex abuse victims, yet everyone thinks he is a great wit and the darling of the media.
    "Glossed over" is correct. I thought the story was not even covered in the Irish Examiner but eventually found a short paragraph on page 10. Will the Sunday papers even mention it?

A year or 2 ago a female teacher took a case to the High Court about a similar dishonest inquiry and the judge made very similar comments about the HSE. By any chance was it the same HSE staff who carried out THIS inquiry? Certainly nobody was fired and I suspect that HSE Management didn't even bother to transfer the corrupt people responsible for the other fiasco.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Irish Times story is not particularily prominent and I see that the on-line version ommits the two sub-headings thus making it shorter still. The Irish Independent has the story at the bottom of page 26 on its Courts page and it is about half the length of the Irish Times one. It's called "Teacher awarded €700,000 for sex abuse probe failings" but I can't get it online just now.

Is this really all this story is worth? For example are the people responsible for the bogus inquiry going to lose their jobs. (Ha Ha I know the answer to that one.) Are they even going to be reprimanded? Have they conducted other sex-abuse inquiries in the past and will they be allowed to conduct them in the future?

If the media could blame the Bishops, the Banks or Businessman I'm sure there would be a very vigorous discussion on this issue but I feel that this story will just be allowed to die. It will be interesting to see if any Sunday newspaper covers it.
    the spartan reporting supports the theory that the media regards teachers as overpaid layabouts.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Glossed over" is correct. I thought the story was not even covered in the Irish Examiner but eventually found a short paragraph on page 10. Will the Sunday papers even mention it?

A year or 2 ago a female teacher took a case to the High Court about a similar dishonest inquiry and the judge made very similar comments about the HSE. By any chance was it the same HSE staff who carried out THIS inquiry? Certainly nobody was fired and I suspect that HSE Management didn't even bother to transfer the corrupt people responsible for the other fiasco.
    if the church had acted as the HSE did there would be outrage and it would have definitely got more media attention.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast