Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 92 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 918

Thread: Flying the Flag

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member euryalus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The United Kingdom
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Flying the Flag

    I went out for a (very rare) trip to the pub yesterday afternoon, having finished my tasks for the day, and got into a conversation about the Irish flag protests. We decided that, as the Union Flag is flown above Witney Town Hall for no more than about two days a year, we ought to start a "flag protest", with the aim of reaching an agreement whereby the national flag is flown for a set number of days per year -perhaps 30 days? As Witney is David Cameron's Parliamentary constituency the "Witney Flag Protest" would clearly accrue at least some coverage in the press.

    This does, however, raise an interesting question - how many days per year will the Union Flag be flown over Belfast City Hall under the proposed compromise agreement with the nationalists; is it as much as 30 days per annum? And if, in a typical English town, the flag is not flown every day of the year, why should Belfast residents (or some of them) expect the flag to be flown every day?
    "Cast a cold eye ......."

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    That about sums up the issue.

    Some democratically elected people are willing to damage the reconciliation efforts inherent in the Good Friday Agreement because of an argument about the number of times a flag flies over a building in Belfast.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    That about sums up the issue.

    Some democratically elected people are willing to damage the reconciliation efforts inherent in the Good Friday Agreement because of an argument about the number of times a flag flies over a building in Belfast.
    identity insecurity

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Eire1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,032
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm sure the usual ragtag bunch of morons will be along shortly to berate you for this thread but the answer you seek is 17 days.

    SF and others agreed that the Union flag should be flown only on official days where it would be required and that's 17 days minimum.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member euryalus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The United Kingdom
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eire1976 View Post
    I'm sure the usual ragtag bunch of morons will be along shortly to berate you for this thread but the answer you seek is 17 days.

    SF and others agreed that the Union flag should be flown only on official days where it would be required and that's 17 days minimum.
    Thank you for that clear and concise answer - it underlines my point that, in the headquarters of David Cameron's constituency, the Union flag is rarely seen and, on that basis, the flag protesters seem to be behaving in a totally unreasonable manner.
    "Cast a cold eye ......."

  6. #6
    Moderator rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    20,923
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euryalus View Post
    I went out for a (very rare) trip to the pub yesterday afternoon, having finished my tasks for the day, and got into a conversation about the Irish flag protests. We decided that, as the Union Flag is flown above Witney Town Hall for no more than about two days a year, we ought to start a "flag protest", with the aim of reaching an agreement whereby the national flag is flown for a set number of days per year -perhaps 30 days? As Witney is David Cameron's Parliamentary constituency the "Witney Flag Protest" would clearly accrue at least some coverage in the press.

    This does, however, raise an interesting question - how many days per year will the Union Flag be flown over Belfast City Hall under the proposed compromise agreement with the nationalists; is it as much as 30 days per annum? And if, in a typical English town, the flag is not flown every day of the year, why should Belfast residents (or some of them) expect the flag to be flown every day?
    Hmm, interesting questions - I actually haven't noticed how often our local authority fly the Union flag, and nor I doubt does anyone I know.

    I suppose that speaks volumes in itself.
    I am in line for a smiting probably sooner than I expect. Apparently.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Boy M5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    21,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euryalus View Post
    Thank you for that clear and concise answer - it underlines my point that, in the headquarters of David Cameron's constituency, the Union flag is rarely seen and, on that basis, the flag protesters seem to be behaving in a totally unreasonable manner.
    Did you hear Fran McNally's report or see the Phoenix? Its about E Belfast constituency, its about a disaffected Unionist underclass
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member sic transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Symbolism has always been an excessively central element of Irish/British relations. I can understand the flag protesters, even if to me it seems utterly unfounded. As commented earlier it is about identity and the flag is a kind of "blanky" for those who find themselves in a place where cultural identity can take on myriad forms and where they need a clear sign that they do indeed have one.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member picador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Béal Feirste
    Posts
    20,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Symbolism has always been an excessively central element of Irish/British relations. I can understand the flag protesters, even if to me it seems utterly unfounded. As commented earlier it is about identity and the flag is a kind of "blanky" for those who find themselves in a place where cultural identity can take on myriad forms.
    Insecure colonial fascists egged on by a BNP splinter group called Britain First.
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Eire1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,032
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euryalus View Post
    Thank you for that clear and concise answer - it underlines my point that, in the headquarters of David Cameron's constituency, the Union flag is rarely seen and, on that basis, the flag protesters seem to be behaving in a totally unreasonable manner.
    You're welcome.

    It's a pity that there is rotten politics behind the protests, the people involved should not feel that their national identity hinges on the flying of a flag. What will they do with themselves after unity when no British flag will fly on any official building?

Page 1 of 92 123451151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •