Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TD's and Senators asked to repay overclaimed expenses after audit by Mazars

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default TD's and Senators asked to repay overclaimed expenses after audit by Mazars

I think it is increible that an external company had to be employed to audit the expenses of 12 members of the Oireachtas. If an external company can understand the rules why couldn't someone in the Civil Service read the rules and carry out the audits themselves.

Surely the person who approves such expenses should understand the rules already.

It would be intersting to discover the cost of the audit carried out by Mazars.

Artilce from Irish Independent here:

Politicians hand back €16,000 after random expenses audit - National News - Independent.ie

Default Hard-up politicians forced to pay money back to greedy tax payers.

Hard up politicians and senators have been caught falsifying expenses following an audit by Mazers.

Politicians hand back €16,000 after random expenses audit - National News - Independent.ie

I suppose it is Christmas and times are tough.

Why are politicians paid so little that they have to resort to falsifying expenses?
    Why doesn't the tax payer just leave them alone?
    Should there be a charity where needs politicians can go at Christmas?

I'm disgusted that the vulnerable are being hit like this, particularly at Christmas.
    Last edited by Ruff says Flaherty; 22nd December 2012 at 12:13 PM.
    Somebody grab the script!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff says Flaherty View Post
    Hard up politicians and senators have been caught falsifying expenses following an audit by Mazers.

I suppose it is Christmas and times are tough.

Why are politicians paid so little that they have to resort to falsifying expenses?
    Why doesn't the tax payer just leave them alone?
    Should there be a charity where needs politicians can go at Christmas?

I'm disgusted that the vulnerable are being hit like this, particularly at Christmas.
    My thoughts are with those poor politicians. It is a disgrace and those dreadful taxpayers are vile!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OMG the poor politicans, they obviously won't do it unless they needed the cash. Christmas is ruined for me with the worry how are the going to manage with a 2.5% cut next year. Next we're going to have STvDeP saying " we've even had politicans looking for help this year"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is a charity for them St Vincent da Bertie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will any of them have to queue for food in Dublin??

Hundreds queue before dawn for food parcels - National News - Independent.ie
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

longshortgrass

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    Will any of them have to queue for food in Dublin??

Hundreds queue before dawn for food parcels - National News - Independent.ie

No doubt caused by the Billions the rest of us pump into Donegal, the parcel county.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A random sample of 12 out of how many TD's and Senators?

Derek Keating FG returned €7,571 for ineligible claims and Ray Butler FG was unable to provide receipts or documentation to show that €4,923.69 was claimed correctly.

The majority of those audited had to refund some of their expenses. Guidelines for expenses should be clarified ASAP and a full audit should perhaps take place now.

In fairness these Oireachtas members had chosen to claim vouched expenses.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

In all honesty though, isn't it some fcking disgrace the sh1t they think they can get away with? I mean that audit was just a sample, imagine if every politician was checked? They should have their pay docked. Saying they don't understand how the expenses system works is no excuse, I know it for my job, it's up to them to know!
    Somebody grab the script!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As usual I notice none of these people short changed themselves. These are the lads and lassies who voted for the respite allowence cuts. The respite allowence goes to people who are working 24/7, 365 days a year. It is a sad and disgusting that we as a people allow this to happen. How any member of this Goverment, can face people and talk about fairness is just astounding. Is this what we have become?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast