Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: People with IQ around 60 are "carrots": Mensa spokesperson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default People with IQ around 60 are "carrots": Mensa spokesperson

As if proof were needed that a high "Intelligence Quotient" has nothing to do with wisdom, a Mensa UK spokesperson has provoked outrage from learning disability groups by stating that "if your IQ is somewhere around 60 then you are probably a carrot".

The BBC was forced to issue an apology after Peter Bainbridge made his remarks during a live interview. Bainbridge did also issue an apology. One outraged viewer who has a learning disability contacted the show to point out how those in her situation can achieve a lot in life; she is living independently and holding down a full time job.

To what extent is IQ a predictor of success in life? One nephew of mine has a very high IQ but got a mediocre Leaving Cert and now at 21 is drifting from one pointless college course to another. His supposedly less gifted peers are meanwhile nearing graduation from degree courses.

And what is Mensa? I've seen their literature in the past and how they desribe themselves "elite but not elitist". Is it really a club for the highly intelligent or just a bunch of people who are good at doing Mensa puzzles?

Sources:
    1.BBC has to apologise as guest from Mensa labels people with an IQ of 60 'carrots' on live Breakfast show | Mail Online
    2.BBC say sorry for Mensa 'carrot' jibe - UK - News - London Evening Standard
    3.British Mensa apologizes for Peter Baimbridge's IQ comment - UPI.com
    4.IQ tests are 'unreliable' measure - Telegraph
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there anything more boring than a person who announces their IQ or tells how they are/could be in Mensa? Better to wear a hat saying "I am insecure".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So if a person of 60 IQ is a carrot is a Mensa member of 150 IQ a Sweet Potato?
    This sig would be more impressive in Latin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

... a carrot and not a ginge?
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fairly smart carrot though. With an IQ of 60. Would definitely be able to outwit a turnip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    As if proof were needed that a high "Intelligence Quotient" has nothing to do with wisdom, a Mensa UK spokesperson has provoked outrage from learning disability groups by stating that "if your IQ is somewhere around 60 then you are probably a carrot".

The BBC was forced to issue an apology after Peter Bainbridge made his remarks during a live interview. Bainbridge did also issue an apology. One outraged viewer who has a learning disability contacted the show to point out how those in her situation can achieve a lot in life; she is living independently and holding down a full time job.

To what extent is IQ a predictor of success in life? One nephew of mine has a very high IQ but got a mediocre Leaving Cert and now at 21 is drifting from one pointless college course to another. His supposedly less gifted peers are meanwhile nearing graduation from degree courses.

And what is Mensa? I've seen their literature in the past and how they desribe themselves "elite but not elitist". Is it really a club for the highly intelligent or just a bunch of people who are good at doing Mensa puzzles?

Sources:
    1.BBC has to apologise as guest from Mensa labels people with an IQ of 60 'carrots' on live Breakfast show | Mail Online
    2.BBC say sorry for Mensa 'carrot' jibe - UK - News - London Evening Standard
    3.British Mensa apologizes for Peter Baimbridge's IQ comment - UPI.com
    4.IQ tests are 'unreliable' measure - Telegraph
    They are a half decent guide to someone's intelligence in certain areas but not a good guide for others.
    There are a number of other factors that play large roles in the likelihood of success; peer group, parents motivation and education and just plain chance to name but a few.
    I know the general iq of most of the kids I work with but often the most personable and easy to work with are average or below in IQ, they will do well one way or the other in life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McTell View Post
    ... a carrot and not a ginge?
    The guy probably wanted to say "cabbage" but "carrot" is more PC, I'spose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    They are a half decent guide to someone's intelligence in certain areas but not a good guide for others.
    There are a number of other factors that play large roles in the likelihood of success; peer group, parents motivation and education and just plain chance to name but a few.
    I know the general iq of most of the kids I work with but often the most personable and easy to work with are average or below in IQ, they will do well one way or the other in life.
    They do say that the ones who get As end up working for the ones who get Cs.

And a high IQ is far from being a guarantee of an A.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hard work, determination, empathy, enthusiasm, a friendly and positive disposition, confidence, charm and courage are the keys to success in life which I believed is measured in general level of a contentment.
    Intelligence is a help but not everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An IQ of 60 is significantly below that for mental disability. People with IQ at that level need society's support not derision and ridicule; especially from that who do know better.
    These men had only learned how to act in the interest of their own...private monopolies which may be likened to totalitarian oligarchies within our democratic State.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast