Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scheiß - Ryanair has got it's weights wrong.

Politics.ie Member Nebuchadnezzar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Scheiß - Ryanair has got it's weights wrong.

Whether by design or accident Ryanair have been underdeclaring the weight of their aircraft to the German authorities thereby resulting in an underpayment of airport landing charges. Whilst there is no safety implication involved, Boeings certified maximum operating weights were not exceeded, I must admit that I have indulged in a certain amount of schadenfreude on hearing this story having been done over several times at check in over the weight of my bag.

www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article112111642/Ryanair-soll-beim-Gewicht-geschummelt-haben.html - Translator

http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/articl...elt-haben.html
    Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar; 22nd December 2012 at 03:17 AM.
    Is not this the great Babylon that I have built.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Boeing certifies a MTOW for an aircraft model. However the airport charges are generally taken as the MTOW as specified in the specific aircraft manual and Boeing will specify a lower MTOW at the purchasers request which reduces airport charges but also limits (on paper only) the aircrafts range.

Boeing 737-800's that Ryanair fly have an MTOW of I think circa 75 tonnes however I think all Ryanair 738's are certified at MTOW 68 tonnes. As Ryanair does not fly sectors over 4 hours then the 68 tonne limit is no big deal as it can carry the maximum passengers plus the fuel for the longest likely journey a Ryanair plane is likely to make. Airport charges are partially based on a departure charge per tonne so each departure saves 7 tonnes of charges for a purely paperwork MTOW.
    Last edited by gijoe; 22nd December 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jaysus, a post that is factual.

The ryanair crowd should be calling for facts of this one to be suppressed.

Unless it's true in which case we can expect full and frank exposure.

Politics.ie Member Nebuchadnezzar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    Boeing certifies a MTOW for an aircraft model. However the airport charges are generally taken as the MTOW as specified in the specific aircraft model and Boeing will specify a lower MTOW at the purchasers request which reduces airport charges but also limits (on paper only) the aircrafts range.

Boeing 737-800's that Ryanair fly have an MTOW of I think circa 75 tonnes however I think all Ryanair 738's are certified at MTOW 68 tonnes. As Ryanair does not fly sectors over 4 hours then the 68 tonne limit is no big deal as it can carry the maximum passengers plus the fuel for the longest likely journey a Ryanair plane is likely to make. Airport charges are partially based on a departure charge per tonne so each departure saves 7 tonnes of charges for a purely paperwork MTOW.
    No big deal at all except for the airport operators who have not been paid correctly. So Ryanair wont mind if my baggage is a couple of kilos more than I say it is then? No extra charge? Grand so.
    Is not this the great Babylon that I have built.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    No big deal at all except for the airport operators who have not been paid correctly. So Ryanair wont mind if my baggage is a couple of kilos more than I say it is then? No extra charge? Grand so.
    you wish dont be supprised if one day ryanair start charging extra for different body weights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kimari View Post
    you wish dont be supprised if one day ryanair start charging extra for different body weights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyway. They're supportin malpractices ryanair don't do. they're entirley off the books. From mow on fnck them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No big deal at all except for the airport operators who have not been paid correctly.
    But they have been paid correctly! Ryanair's Boeing's are certified with a MTOW of 67 tonnes as per the user manual for the aircraft. This means that the Captain cannot take a load beyond that when you include the OEW (operating empty weight) plus the passengers, their baggage and the fuel load. But this is only a paper MTOW as with just a change in the operation manual for the aircraft by Boeing can extend its MTOW to 75 tonnes.

PS Ryanair plus other airlines periodically weigh their passengers and their baggage on random flights to get correct averages. Most airlines generally take an average of 110 kgs per person but I think that Ryanair's is 106 kgs because of the reduced baggage people are carrying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@ gijoe why do the German's think that they have a case against Ryanair then? In simple terms Isn't this simply a difference over declared weights?
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whether by design or accident Ryanair have been underdeclaring the weight of their aircraft to the German authorities thereby resulting in an underpayment of airport landing charges. Whilst there is no safety implication involved, Boeings certified maximum operating weights were not exceeded, I must admit that I have indulged in a certain amount of schadenfreude on hearing this story having been done over several times at check in over the weight of my bag.

www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article112111642/Ryanair-soll-beim-Gewicht-geschummelt-haben.html - Translator

Flugsicherheit : Ryanair soll beim Gewicht geschummelt haben - Nachrichten Wirtschaft - DIE WELT
    Oh Lord, I do hope they tell them to go stand in the corner and they'll deal with them later.

Couldn't happen to a nicer airline.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast